Safepoint not working since firmware upgrade to 02.43.03-022

I have a My Book Live 3GB version which I set up in late October to be used as my TimeMachine backup drive for my MacBook Pro (running 10.6.8).  Everything worked just fine and I was happy with the set up.  The original firmware version was 02.42.02-012.  My MBL was set up for Safepoint backup to my Windows Home Server and the weekly back ups worked just fine.

If received an information email from my MBL there was a new firmware version available (02.43.03-022) and that I should upgrade my unit.  I dutifully did that and the following day was the default Sunday 1:00am weekly backup.  The Safepoint backup update failed with an error:  Event code:1102

Since that time, I have factory reset my MBL, cleared all the data on the target Windows Home Server – removed the _WDPROT directory and attempted a number of times to have a successfull Safepoint backup to take place (like it did before the firmware update).

Wondering if anyone in the forum have experienced this as well?

I did find another post here which seems to mirror the same problem I am currently experiencing.

I have contacted WD Support, but they are rather slow in responding.

I don’t have a problem of not using Safepoint if there is an alternative means for me to back up for WD Book Live.  If so, what is it.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I am having a simmilar problem, the new firmware downloads but when I try to update it gets to 20% than comes up with the error “31105 - Upgrade copy failure”??

I decided to take “one more kick at the can” and set up a Safepoint backup to my Windows Home Server. I modified the setup a little this time–I set the automatic backups to take place each month instead of the default weekly on Sunday at 1:00am. i did not know if the Safepoint backup would be complete before the default weekly schedule took place.

Also, I turned off my MacBook Pro so it would not be updating the TimeMachine file folder on the My Book Live.

In the interim, I did get a reply back from WD Support indicating they were not aware of any hardware / software interaction issues with the latest firmware to affect Safepoint backups; however within the same message they provided me a link for an RMA replacement of my unit. I had sent them an email update with the link to the other WD Community forum post (the one I included in my original post) where it seemed the OP had his problem resolved with a replacement unit.

I am presently at 98% of a 704 GB Safepoint backup.

I will post the success / failure of the Safepoint when it completes.

I watched my backup to the 100% status and was hopeful, however it ended with a cryptic error:

36123 - Your safepoint could not be created due to a failed
request. Please try creating your safepoint again.

Rather disappointing after running for 20+ hours.

Does anyone know what error 36123 means?

I re-ran the failed Safepoint process and when I checked this morning (less than 11 hours), I get a new cryptic error:

36323 - Your safepoint could not be created due to a failed
request. Please try creating your safepoint again.

A different error code, but same message.

My alert email from the NAS gave me:

Event code 1100 - initial run

Event code 1102 - re-run

Based on the time stamp of the re-run, it actually kicked out the message 2.5 hrs after it was started.

I’m having exactly the same problem. In fact a quick web search shows that A LOT of people are having this exact problem.

I think the summary is this:

In the current version of the firmware, Safepoint simply does not work.

I can’t imagine that WD is unaware of this, but to date there doesn’t seem to be a single response from them on this issue.

No one, so far as I can tell on any forums anywhere, has given an explanation, or a workaround, or an ETA for a fix for this problem. Every single mention I can find on this anywhere on the web just mentions the problem and no solution. So I think you just have to assume that you can’t use this feature. If a backup feature is unreliable, it’s worse than useless.

I’m going to just go ahead and write an rsync script that duplicates my data to another drive. This at least I know will work. It won’t save the MyCloud system settings, but there’s not much I can do about that.

I have pretty much given up on The SafePoint feature. I went through the exercise of sending my suspect drive back to WD in the RMA process and received a replacement unit. The unit came with older firmware (which SafePoint was working for me); however, since I upgraded to Mavericks (10.9) OS on my Mac, I had to upgrade to the newer firmware in order for my Time Machine backup to work. As a result I’m back to my original problem of SafePoint not working. To rub further salt into the wound, I have yet to complete a full Time Machine backup wirelessly!

I may have to switch back to a wired device to back up my Mac.