Roku Channel?

Synology just released a Roku channel for use with their line of NAS, anyone know if WD has any plans to do the same for their line of livebooks? 

Not a chance… The current model could do the DLNA version of Plex without all the bells and whistles if Plex were to take interest in a PPC version but the MyBookLive series is nowhere near powerful enough for the full blown Plex experience. Forget about transcoding and all the things that make Plex so great.

Who needs transcoding? Just a simple app that lets one stream videos that are already in the proper format. No different that the WD2GO app.

The problem still remains that they haven’t coded a version for the PowerPc chipset

Define they? Chaneru already has a channel app that works with WD My live Book, but I would like something a little more offical striaght from WD like what Synology has done. 

By they I mean the Plex Team. I wouldn’t count on WD putting an official app out.

I don’t use Plex and never will but it [Deleted] WD won’t support their product at the same level other companies do. Oh well, live and learn. I’ll just know better next time I make a purchase. Thanks for you input 

I don’t believe the Synology NAS devices using the PPC chip support Plex either

Once again this has nothing to do with Plex, why do you keep mentioning them? 

Will there ever be versions of PMS for other non x86 CPU NAS units, or for additional x86 model NAS units?
There is an experimental build that can be found in the Linux forums for devices other than the ReadyNAS and Synology models (official versions of PMS can be found for it on the download page for these units). The Plex development team is interested in enabling support for more ARM NAS devices given their increasing popularity, though many NAS models run very specific operating systems so will need specific support. It is expected that additional ARM models will be supported over time, but how soon depends on how hard it is to make the custom version of PMS for each model. The ARM version is also unlikely to ever support the transcoding functionality as ARM processors are just too slow to support it. A build for Power PC (PPC) or SPARC based NAS units will likely never occur. There is also a community-based build for some Thecus models also to be found in the forums.

It is Plex code so it would be their responsabilty to put an official PPC version together not Western Digital

That has nothing to do with what I am asking. Synology released a Roku channel that lets you browse and play compatible files on your Roku. It doesn’t require Plex, just DLNA support which WD has. Chaneru has a beta channel that does the same thing and it works with WD mylivebook but its beta and ugly as sin, I was just asking if WD would release an official version on their own the way Synology has. This has nothing to so with what type of CPU architecture WD uses 

So what your looking for is an app for the WDTV media player? If that’s the case that’s where I got confused as I thought you were looking for the server running on a MyBookLive

No nothing more than a WD2Go channel for Roku 

It can’t hurt to ask them. Post it in the appropriate ideas section on the forum :slight_smile:

The only problem I see is that Synology doesn’t make media players so it’s not a conflict of interest for them to make an app for the Roku.

WD on the other hand does make media players so I’m not sure how keen they would be on making an app for a competing product