Replace controller board?

Hello, new here. I just plugged in a wrong power adapter into my 2TB My Book Live and smoked the controller board. Do you know or has anyone swapped out their original 2 TB HD and installed it into a new 2TB My Book Live unit? Basically I have 1.5 TB worth of info on my original My Book Live and am willing to buy another new 2TB unit and just swap the HD’s. Any thoughts?

Thanks

That should work with no issues – as long as the voltage didn’t carry over to the HD and fry IT as well.

Since you’ll have to do it anyway, when you pull the drive from the case, plug it into your PC via a SATA cable and make sure it’s still alive before you buy another box…

Thank you for the reply. I have read several posts that the Controller boards have to have the exact same numbers. Do you know if this is really the case? is there anything else to look out for? Just wanting to make sure all my ducks are in a row.

Thank you.

phonedude wrote:

Thank you for the reply. I have read several posts that the Controller boards have to have the exact same numbers.

That is definitely the case when you’re dealing with HD disk controllers.  Not so much with NAS mobos.