Rebuilding Volumes

I just purchased a 2TB My Book Live and have been playing around with Smartware.

After an initial backup I selected the retrieve tab and got a message that it was rebuilding the volume. This process took about 10 minutes for I guess about 30 Gigs. Is this normal to take so long?

Sorry if this is a duplicate. I searched but could find nothing.

Thread moved to WD Network Products: My Book Live.

The SmartWare Backup and Retrieve functions on the WD My Book Live may take more time to complete depending on the current Network configuration.

Ten minutes is 600s, 30 gb is 30720 mb, so that’s 50 mb/s. That’s very good for transfer speeds over a home network.

Could you rephrase that please Trancer?

Gotta watch those abbreviations…  50 mb/s  usually means 50 megabits per second.

It’s actually 400 megabits per second, which actually seems quite fast.  I’ve only ever managed 250 megabits per second…

Now, that’s assuming the OP meant a file volume of 30 GigaBYTES.    If *he* meant 30 Gigabits, then it’s indeed, 50 megabits per second, which is actually pretty slow.

Accursed typos;  I try to use mbit/s or mbyte/s these days. The distinction between MB and Mb is too subtle for me.

Glad someone else thinks the OP’s backup is fast, my last one took over a day (at 8 mbyte/s = 8 MB/s)

I dont think the issue is speed of the actual retrieve of data.  It is rather the speed of the “rebuilding volumes”.  I’ve been wating 10 minutes for the thing to rebuild the volume.  It finally finished.  Now it will not allow me to select destination.