Questions before buying

Hope you can help, since the WD don’t want to help presumptive buyers.

I am interested in this, since it is fast according to users and riviewers at different sites. I have had two LaCie that broke the day after warranty was over, so no LaCie…

I wonder this:

1. May I skip the three prcreated folders, and just put my own library into the disk? I have to ask, since some disks don’t allow making folders. I want to put my old “my documents” on the disk and have it as backup. I am not interested in flashy pic showing features.

2. The backup software, is it useful? Can it handle that I drag and drop a file (or when one creates, deletes and rearrange folders)? And does it work two ways (if I do something directly at the disc and not in the computer)? Or should I buy Memeo that I know will do this?

3. How the heck will it live when it do not have a power on/off-button? Do you pull the cord at night? Or is it happy with working 100 % until it’s death? I am thinking about cutting the cord, putting an old fashioned switcher there :smiley: Canät understand when manufacturers doesn’t put a switch off button on their stuff. I have a router like that, and have to pull the cord if I don’t wanna sleep with it, looking at it’s blinking, testing if the radiation is good or bad in the long run… :]

1.  Yes, you can delete the three predefined Public folders.

2.  Not really… I don’t use it at all.   I use Norton Ghost.

3.  It’s designed to run 24x7.   The disk “Should” go to sleep when not being used, which draws very little power.  Some people report a lot of issues with the disks sleeping properly, though…   You should *NEVER* pull the power on ANY NAS box without properly shutting it down.  You can power it off via the Web GUI, but to turn it back on, you must pull the plug and re-plug.

Thank you!

It is a problem with no power button. Is it very easy to go to the web GUI and shut it off? Then one could mount a switch button on the cord to easily put it off and on again without crawling on the ground. I would not rely on the automatic sleep mode to work - nope. Nothing else “automatic” has worked proper before.

My LaCie Network Space (version one) did not allways shut when I switched it off with the power button. I often hade to pull the cord and hope for the best. My LaCie disks has done nothing but bug like behavior. Both died as soon as warranty time was out making one wonder if it was programmed. My Network space lost contact with network more and more often. What I did not know, was that this was signs of the end. Suddenly it died and I lost all the backup.

Is this WD a reliable disk? I have heard nothing good about the software, but the disk itself? Could one believe it will live for 4-5 years, or die at age 3 years 1 day? :stuck_out_tongue: I have never had anything to do with this brand, WD so I have no experience from it.

Sorry to sound so bitter :smiley: I am bitter, of all problems and on the bad quality of stuff in general these days. I have to send back more than half of what I buy, because of faults or that they die almost immidately. This disk is cheap enough, and maybe it is good enough to have for three years together with memeo. Not much to loose really. Not like a big two disk NAS device for 5 times the money.

What I want is backup space to have with a real good sync program. I will sync my computer, my childrens and my husbands with it. I will not try to access from another place, not use as media thing or anything. Just have a backup that together with a good sync program is easy to backup. Data will be at my computer (I will have it all) and at the disk. Children and husband will have their stuff on their computers, but I will sync it so that everything that comes into the disk, comes to my computer.

I have not more than 100 GB.

I will check Norton ghost BTW. Memeo seams to be good, but if Ghost is as good, but better interface and notifications and info about the sync done, it could be interesting.

Anyone that has looked, and can tell if it is easy to shut the disk down thrue the web GUI? Maybe even a screen shot or link to a pic of how it looks? I have googled, but did not find anything about the shut down function in the web GUI.

You didn’t look in the manual?

Thanks!

Yes, I did look, but didn’t find it anyway. Maybe too much to look at, or too small.

Even tho this is a WD forum, Netgear has a “coming soon” for a media server router, wndr4700, that includes a 2 TB drive; also has an usb3 port & the on/off button for the router which means the drive will be turned off also.  Read that it will be available “2nd qtr”.  Drive is USER UPGRADABLE or maintained; router has its own DLNA.  Don’t know if it will be available without hard drive.

Also, the MBL really don’t shutdown all the way as the router led lights show that MBL is still connected & “available”; seems like all OSs are done that way now.  Need to disconnect from the power line.

May be nice if WD supply a “wake up”/wake on lan app.

Thank you for that information. MBL seems to be really fasy in it’s class (size and price), but I would really like USB for backupping, maybe USB for connecting to computer (my Network space has USB, but just for backup) and a switch off button. Even if it is not turned off completetly, it should be better when I cut the power completetely.

I am afraid of LaCies stuff, since all I had, broke sort of “today after warranty is over”. WD and LaCie seems to be the most popular NAS in this class (small and “cheap”, with one disk). One thing I do NOT like with LaCie, even if they where great functioning, is that they wont stand up. They llie down flat and take space (^_^).