Question on required set-up

Hello, 

I’m thinking of purchasing a MBL, but I’m a bit confused on its wireless connection feature (or lack of…)

Anyway, here is what I need to do:

1. Connect MBL to my home network over wi-fi, this means that there will not be an ethernet connection between MBL and the router.

2. Use MBL to store FLAC audio files for playback over foobar2000 on my Windows XP laptop (connected over wi-fi to home network too). Should I experience an adequate tranfer rate here, so that FLAC file playback is smooth?

3. Use MBL to watch 720p video files using that same laptop via VLC player. Again will the data transfer speed over wi-fi be enough for the playback?

PS I’ve a very strong signal over wi-fi, 54.0 Mbps and a signal strength of approx. -35 dbm (-89 dBm noise).

I thank you in advance for your comments.

1. The MBL does NOT have wifi.
    2 & 3: Impossible for anyone to know because everyone’s networks are different.

I was thinking of finding a solution of mounting on the wall the MBL, so that it can be adjacent to the router, that would allow me to skip all the trouble of having a wired connection running all around the room.

Has anyone ever reported of such a possibility (even a custom made solution)?

Otherwise, I’m thinking of purchasing an Access Point so that the MBL would connect over wi-fi.

What do you think?

I thank you, all, in advance for your response.

As Tony said every network is different, I have my MBL hooked up to a wireless gigabit router in the basement using cat5e of course. And it streams videos, music, and serves files to all the laptops, desktops, and tablets in the house, so yes depending on what equipment and cabling you have the MBL can handle the load. I’m not sure if misunderstood, but from my perspective you seem to think the MBL has built in wifi, and it doesn’t it needs to be plugged in a wireless router if you want it to be accessible on any of your wireless devices.

gGbitI’ve understood that the MBL has just an ethernet connection (Gbit). The problem is, that due to lack of space I cannot set it up on a desk near the router (the router itself is wall-mounted). So I was thinking If I could wall-mount the MBL as well and then connect it via cat5 to the router. 

Has anyone tried that (I doubt that the MBL has “wall mounting” holes, so I’d only imagine that someone has come up with a custom solution - ???).

If I cannot do that I’ll have to use an Access Point (again has anyone used one to connect MBL to a Wirelees Lan?)

Access point, only works for wireless clients. MLB does not have wifi capabilities. So the answer is no.

However, there are connectors for ethernet → Wifi. such as this. but then, you do not need an access point unless you want to extend the wifi coverage area/signal 

Now, most will do not this, take into considerations speeds, wireless are slower than gig ethernet.

So it all depends on your need and signal strenght, since each network is different.

I suppose you could screw some kind of shelf on the wall and place the MBL on it.

I’ve finally bought it and decided to mount it on the wall somehow (add a shelf probably) or run an ethernet cable over the wall.

Thanks for replying everyone!