Purchase advice

Hello everyone,

I am interested in buying a My Book Live 3TB.

I would like to play music, movies and series on my TV.

The only problem I see is that it’s an old TV and I was wondering about the best way to do this…

My TV is a Samsung LE26A330J1. Is it possible?

If so, how should I proceed?

If no, what is the best device I should buy then? 

Thank you for you advice!

Samsung TV’s are touch and go on the MBL. First you wanna make sure the Samsung TV supports the formats you want to stream. I would recommend if possible buying the MBL from someplace with a good return policy, try it out and if it doesn’t work in your setup, take or send it back.

For a Samsung TV you are gonna wanna probably use the WD DLNA server which is the default server now on many of the new units. There are 2 patches that allow you to switch between Twonky and the WD DLNA server. Twonky I believe has issues with Samsung TV’s though I don’t know to what extent.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Hello nfodiz, 

Thank you for replying so quickly.

It helps, partially.

What I don’t really know is if my Samsung will be recognized by the MBL.

As far as I know, this model can’t connect to the Internet and neither has a Wifi or Ethernet connection available.

So, this would be impossible, right?

I checked the specs on your TV and you are right, it has no wifi, ethernet or DLNA support so you would not be able to play content from the MyBookLive without the help of a media player. You can purchase a WDTV Streaming Media Player (See link below for info) and hook it to your TV and you would be able to do what you propose. That along with a MyBookLive make a good combination and it’s what I use myself.

Simply hook the MyBookLive to your home router and it becomes part of your network. You will be able to transfer files to it from any PC on your network. Hook the WDTV to an HDMI port on your TV and it can play pretty much anything from your MyBookLive. A hardwired connection is preferred for the WDTV for high bitrate 1080p content but if you are close enough to your router wifi should work just fine for anything 720p or less. Music would not be an issue at all over wifi.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to check on all of this!

It was really helpful.

Have a nice day!