Public share access privileges

Why is it not possible to revoke public shares access to specific users? My office Synology NAS give full felxibility for each user’s access permissions. I know by definition public means public, but I want to restrict my users so there’s no file sharing. WD, please make this option available. I would hate to drop my MBL for a Synology but I may not have a choice.

1 Like

That’s the public folder… keep in mind that you can create a new folder and you can give the permissions that you want to the users

Yes you can restrict the Public share for the NFS, AFP, FTP and SMB access.

You need to access the MBL’s Linux’s command line. Instructions are littered through this community.

Using the nano text editor edit /etc/trustees.conf find …

/shares/Public:*:RWBEX:*:CU

… change this to …

/shares/Public:admin:RWBEX:*:CU

Do the same change to /tmp/trustees.mod. Within this file if you see admin:DRWBEX within the DENY LIST then remove it from the appropriate line. Make sure there is one : and not :: if you do this.

Issue the following command:

settrustees -f /tmp/trustees.mod

The Public share and directory is now only accessible to the owner/admin user.

This will persist through anu user and share changes on the Dashboard UI.  If you do any changes to Public share  using the Dashboard UI you will need to repeat this procedure.

What I want to do now is restrict permissions per user. For example I want certain users to have read only access to the shared videos/music/pictures folders. Is it possible to do that while allowing users to upload to the public folder itself?

Apply the permissions you desire to the sub-folders locacted under /shares/Public.

Who’s idea was it to take away the admins control over these folders?
Is so stupid that it has to be this hard to gain control over who can Wright to your public folders and who’s not
It’s not user friendly and not useful at all

Please WD-programmers, give me the control over my own “my book live”
User-friendly does not mean restricted control

Yeah… I really think WD should change that “None-function”
make it possible to change user privileges even for the public folders!
Please!:robotmad:
come on! Why this ----> :smirk_cat:
but not letting me control the user privileges of the public folder

I don’t know why this functionality is not coded into the Web UI.  In a previous message it was stated that the Public share is public and no real explanation has been given.