Regular Visitor
TNZooKeeper

Public Share Vs User Private Shares Connect Problem on XP

I wired MBL to my Gbit wireless router. My WinXP desktop PC is wired to the router. My devices are the WinXP PC, Win7 laptop, iPad, and 2 iPhones.  The MBL has the default Public folder. I setup 2 Shares (one for each person, UserA and UserB for this discussion). The UserA, UserB, and Admin have full rights to each other.

1. The iPad/iPhones apps work fine with the MBL Apps on the iDevices.
  2. The desktop/laptop works fine if I use the internet connection through WD2GO to access the UserA/B shares. WD2GO opens the Win Explorer folders and I can use as expected.
  3. If I use WD Quickview on the PCs (whether mapping or Open menu selections), I can access the Public folder no problem. I can see the UserA/B shares. However, doubleclicking Win Explorer UserA or B folders to open the a share brings up the user/password box. It will not accept the user and/or password that I enter (it doesn't say which). these are the same ones I use through WD2GO internet with no problem whatsoever.
  4. Using NET USE * /DELETE from other posts on the forum doesn't have anything listed.

I have tried everything I can think of with no luck. Does the MBL have to be in the same WorkGroup that my PCs on the network are? If so, how do I set that in the MBL?

Thanks for help.

Honored Contributor
Vadir

Re: Public Share Vs User Private Shares Connect Problem on XP

To change the Workgroup in the MBL you must login to the UI: http://mybooklive, then Settings > Network > Workgroup.

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts and be sure to come back and click 'Accept as Solution' under options, for the post that solved your issue.
Regular Visitor
TNZooKeeper

Vadir,

Thanks. That got it in the right workgroup. It didn't fix the #3 problem.

3. If I use WD Quickview on the PCs (whether mapping or Open menu selections), I can access the Public folder no problem. I can see the UserA/B shares. However, doubleclicking Win Explorer UserA or B folders to open the a share brings up the user/password box. It will not accept the user and/or password that I enter (it doesn't say which). these are the same ones I use through WD2GO internet with no problem whatsoever.

Ideas?

Thanks again.

Frequent Advisor
LawrenceLeo

Its the same issue i got. I heard that is due to windows functionality.

I gave up after trying for too long. I realise that the best folder is the public folder. Bcos it is impossible to dictate to the MBL when you want to use public and private folders.

For me I wanted to separate both work and play folders on the ipad but retain control via my home PC. 2 issues:

1) due to windows functionality, it is impossible to edit the work and play (private shares) on my home PC using the admin ID/password. system will prompt for id/password no matter how many times i map.

2) on the ipad, wd2go cannot readily allow switching between work and play private shares. the app logs you out and ask for a new authentication code. something that is impossible to get on the road (unless u use a laptop)

in the end to be able to use on all my devices, i realise only the public folder works. it also means that i find it impossible to share the mbl with my clients due to issue 1.

Regular Visitor
TNZooKeeper

Hope WD is reading. Thanks. I hate to keep everything in the public folders. Pretty much defeats shares for a lot of uses. Overall, I really like what this will do. However, WD has a significant ways to go in user functionality for something that is suppossed to be transparent as to location (cloud). Even if they come out with paid apps, I would pay if I could get the functionality one expects from a "cloud" type network. This has the potential to be excellent if they will bring it up to modern useages.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD