Problems with WD My Book Live - dashboard

So I bought a WD My Book Live, set it up, did a firmware update (as requested) and created a user.

So after a week or so my dashboard doesn’t find the box…

“Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 192.168.1.2”

…but if I go through www.wd2go.com I can acess everything.

Any ideas? What happened? How can I sort it? 

I was really impressed with it, but now I understand some reviews I read.

Hello,

I recommend:

1-Accessing the dashboard using another browser.

2- Power cycling the My Book Live. (disconnect the power cord, wait 10 seconds and then plug it back in)

3- resetting the my book live using the reset button. (Page 125 of the user’s manual)

How to access the Dashboard on a My Book Live or My Book Live Duo

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried the first two options…no success. 
Didn’t try the third one as I’m concerned I’ll lose the data. So need to copy everything before attempting that.

Hi, if you press the reset button, it wont delete your files, it will just restore the My Book configuration back to default. 

2 Likes

Could you explain a little more.

What is your “dashboard” that cannot find the box?

Are you using a Windows PC or Mac?

Are you trying to access the files on the drive, or the dashboard?

Thank you both for the replies.

I’m working on a PC. When clicking on the dashboard icon I’d get a WD My Book Live application that allowed me to create users, folders and configure different things on the box. But now when doing so I just get a message on my browser saying “Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 192.168.1.2”.  I’ve tried with Firefox and IE but get similar messages.

Haven’t tried to access it through the network connections! I was really just trying to manage the users.

If you have not changed the name of your mybooklive try this.

In the browser address bar insert

http://mybooklive

If you have changed the name, just replace the “mybooklive” with whatever name you have called it.

If that does not work, open a command prompt. (Start - Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt)

type

ping mybooklive

Press enter and see what response you get back.

I am guessing that perhaps the IP address has changed, or something along those lines.

I am having the exact same problem.  Also trying to access from a PC.  I haven’t put any content on yet, so I don’t know if its still there. 

I did a command prompt and it said that it couldn’t find it.

mblnovice. If the command prompt “ping” did not find the drive it sounds like it is not connecting to your network.

What color is the light on the front of the drive?