Problem with WD2GO.COM filetransfer

I can log in and mount my disk, i can look around and transfer small text files, 1-2kb.

but if i want to transfer a small movie xvid at 55mb its not working.

The windows copy window is coming up and it says “time left - calculating”.

im not able to cancel, and i can not UNmount the disk, i have to restart my computer.

ive tested with IE32, IE64, Chrome, same with all.

logged in as ADMIN

I have learned from Tony, the file is copying.

You PC will look like it has frozen or hung, but it is copying the file to memory.

When it has finished copying the file to memory, the pc will unfreeze and your file will copy quicky to the destination you want it to go.

If you are on your home network, avoid using wd2go but if you are on a different network and you have to use wd2go, then you must put up with this.  Also, from my extensive testing, you cannot transfer files over 2gb in size.

“” Also, from my extensive testing, you cannot transfer files over 2gb in size""

But can i transfer folders bigger than 2gb? as long its not containing files bigger than 2gb?

Possibly.  I would imagine so.  I think the problem is that wd2go does not even recognise files over 2gb but if you have loads of files smaller than 2gb, you should be ok… The bigger the file size, the longer your computer will freeze due to the caching of the file(s).

Now i have another problem.

when im going in to my disk via wd2go.com and then into one of the folders, my computer starts do download something from the disk, i can see that via windows tools, but i cant see what it is that its downloading.

so my computer downloads at full speed, but i dont know what it is???

now its up to 500mb, of WHAT???

i now found where it goes.

when im going into a map with a picture or movie, the computer starts to download it, even if i later leaves the map. the destination is:

c:\windows\serviceprofiles\localservice\appdata\local\temp\tfsstore\tffs_dav

1 Like

Yes it usually copies whatever file u click on with your mouse or else the first file in the directory.

From what i have been told, your best scrolling to the file you want and use CTRL + C and CTRL + V rather than using the mouse

Yes it copies to local service directory on C:

ive read just now that this cache wont clean itself, so it will eventually fill your c:.

[Deleted] WD is a big company with good engineers, or does this department only gets the lousy ones?

FFS, WD, can you please make a solution that works, i dont want my harddrive to fill up.

and the reason i purchased this drive was that my brothers and my parents could get access to all my movies and series, BUT i think i will return the stupid disk, because i dont want my parents computer to be full with movies they dont want, or can use because its a hidden folder deep in windows.

so every map they click on will backup on their computer, and the cache NEVER deletes, GOOD WORK WD, genius.

robbinb wrote:

ive read just now that this cache wont clean itself, so it will eventually fill your c:.

what kind of **bleep** is this? WD is a big company with good engineers, or does this department only gets the lousy ones?

FFS, WD, can you please make a solution that works, i dont want my harddrive to fill up.

GOOD WORK WD, genius.

Before you start blaming WD, you need to learn a little bit more about what is going on.

It’s not WD’s issue to fix.

WD is just using WebDAV – WebDAV is a pretty robust extension to the HTTP / HTTPS protocols, and has been implemented by apache (the web server that the MBL’s use) for years.

What you’re seeing are symptoms of Microsoft’s meddling of WebDAV.

MAC users don’t have those issues, because Apple’s implementation of WebDAV is as simple as can be.

I’m not sure why you say the cache won’t clean up after itself.   It sure does on my system…

Oh, and here’s more proof that it’s Microsoft’s problem, not WD’s:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2790804

Note particularly from that KB article:

"Note:  The expected behavior is that the data files in the TfsStore cache folder are deleted after the data transfer is successful."

when does it clean itself? because its starts to smell after some days, just in 2 days i have 5gb in that folder.

and another thing, it slows down the internet for everybody here, if i just “mark” a folder or file.

[Deleted]

thank you for the link, i will test the fix.

I faced the same issues as you did about 2 months ago

At home = perfect (not using wd2go

Externally = no use (using wd2go)

I bought this for the same reasons as you did.  So family members could access it and i could access files remotely.

As Tony says, its not really directly a WD issue, moreso microsoft but even still, there should be a basic fix for this.

I have noticed with other NAS devices, even top range ones, that they too have this 2GB limit.

@Tony - my localservice folder filled up to 93GB before and i only realised when i had no HDD space left.

for myself, i can use FTP to the mybook instead, but i dont know if ma&pa can.

but then its better to use FTP directly to computer, no need to wirelessly transfer 2TB to the mybook in 10mb/sec.

so this one was a waste of money, so i hope that people who search google before buying comes to this thread. i will spread this link to all price sites here in sweden and warn people.

WD fault or not, this is not a good solution to access your files outside home.

On 27-02-2013 @08:29AM robbinb said:

i now found where it goes.

when im going into a map with a picture or movie, the computer starts to download it, even if i later leaves the map. the destination is:

c:\windows\serviceprofiles\localservice\appdata\local\temp\tfsstore\tffs_dav

I presume you are referring to an OS newer than WinXP. There is no ’ serviceprofiles’ folder in WinXP…

My file count does seem to be increasing since I started experimenting with WD2go. So I would like to find where that store is to confirm that it is being ‘pruned’ regularly.

Anyone know where the equivalent WebDAV temporary storage is on WinXP?

Yes, the location is here

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5  You may need to unhide

You will see random folder names, in here you will see your temp files.

Your most likley gonna have to go into a folder, click tools >  Folder Options > VIew and then untick hide protected operating system files

1 Like

pajjo:

Thanks for the reply. Just checked that WinXP folder and there are 10 randomly named folders with dates/times similar to when I was conducting the WD 2go/WebDAV trials.  The 10 folders are only 76 KB so I guess directory pruning is occurring OK. I did have a couple of crashes (while trying to stream mp3s to VLC Media Player via WD 2go/WebDAV) that required reboot. Since some of the transfers didn’t complete I expected to see large files in that folder. This wasn’t the case. However I always ran Disk CleanUp and Disk Check after the reboots so that might have wiped out any large residuals. If I get any more hangups with WD 2go/WebDAV I’ll check that folder first before doing a Disk CleanUp.

Funny thing thou, VLC Media Player hung-up frequently when tx’ing via WD 2go/WebDAV (on files that play perfectly via VLC on the local network) but Microsofts Windows Media Player Ver 11.0 plays those mp3’s perfectly via WD 2go/WebDAV.  Could it be that Microsofts “messing up” WebDAV could have been primarily aimed at other vendors apps and not their own?  Microsoft wouldn’t do that, would they?

I’m not the biggest fan of Microsoft, but I doubt they would have done that specifically for that reason.

I believe it’s more to provide a “seamless” user experience with their own apps that require WebDAV, like Sharepoint and other Server-side web-based applications.

All I know is that there are a number of technet articles and forum posts describing that when things go wrong with MS’s “hooks,” they go wrong in a big way.