Permissions nightmare

Hi When I copy anything onto MBL the permissions don’t allow me to copy it off again to any other location. Support offered the usual reset and reformat stuff but no use. The security settings either look like this or they say special permissions. No editing is allowed to any permissions although the share is public.

I eventually lost everything mucking around with permissions in SSH. So I thought I would reset to factory settings and start again. Worked OK for one day then same problem.

WD want to send another drive but as I have completely reset this one back to factory settings how will that help?

I had no other shares originally as I just used WD Public folders. This time I created a public share called Movies but same thing occurs,

photo.JPG

WD support and I have been discussing this for several weeks and getting nowhere… Any help would be greatly appreciated. Steve

Not sure how you are setting the permissions, but unless you are a Unix guru, do not use the CLI.

I setup private shares, differet users and permissions via the dashboard first for my MBL, the proceeded it to allow SSH for those users and all works just fine.

See this post, which shows how I did it.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/what-s-my-normal-non-root-user-s-SSH-password/m-p/566428#M21996

Thanks Shabuboy. The only unix I did or even know was an ls -al because I hoped someone might know what all those means. I only have one share and it s the default WD Public share. The only current user is the default WD admin. I did try setting up other public and private shares as well as other users with full access via the dashboard prior to the last factory reset.
I really just want ownership of that default public share. I don’t really need any other shares or users. Will the steps in your post still apply? Cheers

Hmmm, then you have other issues.

If you are trying to copy/move a file from Movies folder (jpeg shows it), make sure the share has the correct permissions for Admin via the dashboard. Since it seems you only have one user, default Admin. It will also depend if you made the Movies folder private or public. 

There is no really a way to take ownership of the Public folder. It is as its name indicates, Public and it is open for all.

Play with creating shares and users as well as adding the correct permissions. It took me a bit to understand it but once you get it, it is pretty clear.