Permission problem

I’m having a permission problem with my WD My Book Live 2TB device.

My daughter created a share to back up the file system on her old macbook, intending to then use the WD device on her  new macbook air. I created a new user profile for her to do this.

She finds that on her new computer she cannot access folders and files that she created from the old one, even when she connects as ‘admin’ instead of her own user profile. She can see subfolders but when she tries to open them it says “The folder “XYZ” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.”

In lieu of a proper solution I would happily give up security on my WD device to solve this problem, is there a way that her user profile can be changed to have access to everything? A proper solution would also be nice.

Thanks for any advice,

Tony

You could attempt to change the share permissions from Private to Public on the device’s Dashboard admin page under the “Shares” section. However, this may not directly address the issue as it is possible the files themselves have inherited permissions. 

Were the files copied into the WD My Book Live using Apple’s Time Machine? If so, Time Machine will be needed to properly restore the files.

Regards,

Thanks for the reply. I tried to change the permissions to public from the dashboard and this seemed to take effect, but when I clicked away and clicked back again the permission was Private again. The private permissions were for admin and my daughter though.

The files were copied to the WD device by drag and drop from the old Macbook’s file system using Finder.

If the files had inherited permissions is there a command line function I could use to reset them on the whole disk?

Thanks

Tony