Not Fit For Purpose

Like an earlier poster I have always been a fan of WD devices, the drives have always delivered speed and quality.

So based on that I bought a mybooklive…

After 2 weeks of messing about with this device. I have decided that I will not keep wasting my time trying to put things right on it.

The UI is totally limiting… The data transfer speeds are appaling, it cannot even cope with streaming .MKV’s over a few gig

Time do do some real research and buy a decent product. I will then return this one as 

NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE

It should be illegal to sell something this bad

You consider transfer rates of 250 megabits per second appalling?   What’d you expect?

it cannot even cope with streaming .MKV’s over a few gig

Absolutely untrue.

Both of my boys were watching HD movies in their bedrooms last night while I was watching another in the living room – all being streamed from the MBL. 

The average according to my network monitoring was about 80 megabits per second at the time…

…  while I was copying two MORE blu-ray rips to it from my PC…  which was abother 200 megabits per second of WRITE activity.

Never choked once…

I get similar performance to all my other devices, pc-mac mac tv, 

However I have been messing with this thing 2 weeks and still can’t get any relible performance out of it… 

When I pay the sort of money I did I expect it to WORK out of the box, not mess about  with it, the software is unreliable as the many posts on bugs etc on this very forum.

When I buy a phone I dont expect to have to mess around with the settings to be able to make a call, I say again

UNFIT FOR PURPOSE

And now we find it is shipped with a bugged version of twonky!!

anyone losing functionality in twonky should have a look at this thread:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/My-Book-Live-2TB-Can-t-Access-Twonky/m-p/222872#M2804

One thing for sure… no more WD products will be going in my house or office… unless it is simply a drive in a pc or mac purchased as a complete package

What did you do to get that kind of speed???  I cannot get more than 6 to 8mb/s with my WDLB connected  directly to a 1000mb ethernet port on my computer.

I have NEVER seen speeds above 8mb/s since I installed this drive.  And it doesn’t seem to matter whether it is on a 300mb wireless connection or connected directly to the computer.  Max has been 8mb/s

I’d be looking for bad cables. I just did a WD2Go transfer of a 300 meg MKV file to my iPad… Took about 60 seconds, or roughly 40mb/s… That’s while it was also doing a file sync from my QNAP of a few TB of files…

I thought about that too.  Especially when I had it connected directly to the computer and the speeds were so terrible.  So, I swapped out the cables, twice.  Then I tried the cables connecting to a laptop direct that has an SSD drive.   Speeds ran in the 250 to 275mb/s range.

I just finished a backup to the WDL.  There were 250mb of information that were backed up.  It is at 92% complete and it has been 12 horus and 31 minutes.

So, at least in my case, and looking through these posts, several other people, this drive doesn’t perform for all.  I actually haven’t seen to many people that say it DOES perform as you are describing.  Congratulations, you got one of the good ones.