No writable WD SmartWare partition found

This is what WD tech support sent to me, which I have not tried yet: 

It sounds as if the Smartware backup did work for a while, now suddenly it is not, is this correct? You may need to restart the WDDM Service by right clicking My Computer on your desktop or in the Start Menu and selecting Manage. This will open the Computer Management Console. On the left hand side, near the bottom, you should see Services and Applications. If you click the plus sign to the left, you will see Services. When you select and highlight Services, a list of services will populate on the right hand side of the window. This list should be alphabetical, and you should see several WD services toward the bottom of this list. On the WDDMservice, you can right click, stop, then right click and start.

I am not an expert but I have a few thoughts. 

Could any of this be related to any spyware or viruses?  Run all virus protections with updated definitions. 

If anyone returns their HD make sure you do the full factory restore to erase any files on it. 

But remember, this is just WD buggy software.  You can get free or relatively cheap back up software to do the same job, maybe better. 

Thanks.

D