No option to configure DLNA - makes for a useless Media Server

I really like the Network Drive as its one of the fastest and most stable system I have come across.

However, I don’t appreciate the implementation of the media server on this drive. It is incomplete and cannot be configured. The network drive of this size can be easily used to backup a lot of data. However, if I want to use it as a media server;

I would like to configure what folders should be shared. T** here is zero customizability .**

The only options that I have are either share all the media on the drive or not share anything at all. Even the twonky media had that one little step where I could choose to share a single type of media. (It wasn’t very helpful as I could only choose to share any one type of media or all of it. So it was either  music/video/photo OR Everything.)

Why can’t I create a blacklist/whitelist of folders to share or not share. The way the software works right now doesn’t allow me to utilize this feature as it shares my entire drive which contains something like a 30K image files. I don’t want to browse through each folder to find what I’m looking for. Imagine browsing through something like that on the PS3 or XBOX. I would like to share just some folders on the server.

I really hope WD fixes this with an update in the near future.

I also noticed that there is no security options in the DLNA server. Twonky at least had the option to block ip addresses (Not the most useful in DHCP environments). A blacklist based on ip is useless if the IP changes and I constantly need to enter the settings to monitor who has access to the media server.

I am not expecting password protection as its not implemented properly as a standard in most DLNA clients.

WD can and should at least implement a MAC based whitelist filter.

I’m not sure what you’re talking about. The MBL DOES use Twonky.