No Luck accessing FTP from External

Well, still trying to get my Christmas present setup to work as I need it.

I’ve got FTP working internally through my LAN, but I can’t get external working.  (I have had Firezilla up and working on an internal Drive, but my whole reason for getting the Mybook Live is so I can turn my computer off).

Anyway,

I have the static IP assigned to the MBL

I have forwarded ports 20 & 21 (internal and external) to the static IP)

I just can’t connect to the MBL.  Its funny because the Firezilla server was running on internal port 21 and it worked just fine.

I also got the MyCloud access working fine, (although not on IE11 and current Java).  But this will not meet my needs.  I need FTP 

How are you trying to access the FTP from outside the LAN?

The reason I am asking, you cannot FTP from your PC, to your Internet IP/router to the MBL. You would have to connect to the WAN side only. In a few words, you cannot:

LAN → WAN → LAN

BTW… FTP is not a secure protocol, in case security is needed.

SSH/SCP/SFTP would be secure as well as https.

Shabuboy wrote:

How are you trying to access the FTP from outside the LAN?

The reason I am asking, you cannot FTP from your PC, to your Internet IP/router to the MBL. You would have to connect to the WAN side only. In a few words, you cannot:

LAN → WAN → LAN

This is generally a reasonable assumption, but it does depend on the router.

Some routers will allow that (mine does; an ActionTec MI-424WR.)

C:\Users\Tony>ftp (redacted).dyndns.org
Connected to (redacted).dyndns.org.
220 You probably don't want to be here... Go away.
User ((redacted).dyndns.org:(none)): wduser
331 Please specify the password.
Password:
230 Login successful.
ftp>

Dumb Question:   You are FTP’ing to your OUTSIDE IP address, right?   – not the IP address of the MBL…

1 Like

Well I found out the problem was trying to FTP from internal to external to internal.  It looks like it is working now.  Tried through a VPN connection and it worked.