New firmware just released MyBookLive 02.41.05-034

New firmware just released MyBookLive 02.41.05-034

Any release notes on this update? 

Direct Download http://download.wdc.com/nas/apnc-024105-034-20130215.deb

Release Notes http://support.wdc.com/download/notes/My_Book_live_Release_Notes_FW02_41_05.pdf

Switching between TwonkyMedia and WD’s DLNA Media Server  http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5735#

Firmware Version 02.41.05-034
This firmware update will allow the WD Media Server to be applied to the My Book Live device. This update does not alter the current Media Server configuration (Twonky Media Server). After applying this firmware update, you will have the option to switch to the WD Media Server. The benefit of updating to the newer WD Media Server is to gain full Windows 8 certification and to take advantage of the WD app for Windows 8.

In addition, the WD Media Server will provide the following benefit:
•Support streaming of MKV files to Samsung® HDTVs
•Supports Windows 8 File History backups
Note: To try the WD app for Windows 8, go to the Windows 8 app store and search for WD. To enable full functionality of the WD app for Windows 8, you must apply the firmware version 02.41.05-034 update first. Then, go to the WD KBA #5735 link provided below to learn more about, including how to download the patch.
KBA# 5735 Link:
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5735

Resolved Issue:

•Resolved issue of certain devices that exhibited error pop up messages when accessing various areas within the dashboard. This error was observed on new devices running firmware version 02.11.09.053 that had not undergone a previous firmware update
•Removed “View My Files” link from the dashboard due to the requirement to install Java®, causing various web browsers to intermittently display messages to install Java
•Resolved issue of not being able to establish a remote access connection when using Linksys/Cisco ®E4200 model router
2 Likes

Install went fine, nothing noticably new looking at the dashboard…

Still using Twonky 5.1.9… I thought they were switching over to the same DLNA server that is now in the MBL DUO firmware.

1 Like

nfodiz wrote:

Install went fine, nothing noticably new looking at the dashboard…

Still using Twonky 5.1.9… I thought they were switching over to the same DLNA server that is now in the MBL DUO firmware. 

Thank goodness, no.

As much maligned as 5.1.9 is, it works perfectly well in my environment.   The DUO’s DLNA server: not so much.

No update to the Samba stack… Speeds still degraded compared to 02.11.09-053 on Realtek chipsets

Samba version 3.6.5

OOooh.  Even better!   One can now choose between Twonky and “WD DLNA.”   Good strategy, WD!

/CacheVolume/upgrade/  [3.5 M]
|-dlna_bom-update  (3.4 k)
|-dlna-server-access_02.00.00-95909_powerpc.deb  (3.4 M)
|-dlna-server-twonky_05.00.01-95580_powerpc.deb  (8.2 k)
|-postinst-patch_apnc  (850 b)
|-postinst-patch_apnc_access  (651 b)
|-postinst-patch_apnc_dlna  (536 b)
|-postinst-patch_apnc_twonky  (651 b)
|-twonky_utilities  (2.8 k)
|-upgrade_utilities  (724 b)
|-upgrade-patch_twonkymediaserver-hollow  (451 b)
|

The WD Media Server has improved substantially since first released in the Duo. This version has more udpates as we have resolved them. These will be applied back to the Duo as soon as testing is complete.

Yes - we decided not to force this change on users. That would have been a bad idea :slight_smile: However; moving forward, you will need this server to experience the WD Windows 8 App that will support our NASs and full certification with Windows 8. If you are happy as is and don’t care about Windows 8, you don’t have to do anything.

So far no major issues, will post more in the next few days

1 Like

Where is the option to switch from Twonky to WD server?

Have been through all the options multiple times and still can’t see it!

See Post 3 on page 1

We usually have a link posted to show the new firmware and the link to the KBA. Bill is out sick today :frowning:

Here is what parts of it should say:

“My Book Live drives that have been upgraded to firmware version 02.41.05-034 offer the option to switch between two different DLNA servers: TwonkyMedia  or  WD Media Server. The benefit of upgrading to the newer WD Media Server is to gain full Windows 8 certification and to take advantage of WD’s app for Windows 8. The patches (provide in the KBA link below) offers the choice of using either DLNA server, and the option to switch back to the other server by simply applying one of the patches.

Note: To try the WD app for Windows 8 when it becomes available, go to the Windows 8 app store and search for WD. To enable full functionality of the WD app for Windows 8, you must apply the firmware version 02.41.05-034 update first.  Go to the WD KBA #5735 link provided below to learn more about, including how to download the patch.

KBA# 5735 Link: http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5735  “

2 Likes

The WD DLNA server is working very nice so far… I will have to add a ton of media to my test drive and see how it handles the load.

Updated 3rd post with links to all pertinent information for this release

So far so good here. . . but I am just staying on Twonky for now.

Got updated OK but had a problem(?) msg.

Popup msg say that the updating encountered a problem & to refresh the page & try again; another “problem” in the the popup wouldn’t go away so I clicked on the “refresh” arrow of firefox.  Don’t remember what I did exactly but the dialogues disappear & a popup said the update was successful & will be rebooting, etc.

Took a very long time (subjectively) to reboot, but eventually was able to reconnect to the MBL.  Saw that the database was being “changed” (is this a rescan or recatalogue).  My AVR is able to play a music album so that I think, for now, everything is OK.

Don’t know how/why I got the popup saying that the update couldn’t finish, especially it finally did, somehow…

1 Like

I got the same popup saying Error 31184 … But after rebooting all seems well…

1 Like

i cannot ssh anymore, please help

thanks

Hi, I updated my WDL on 26.02.2013 with 02.41.05-034 and I noticed that there is no more button to open shares in the finder.

My problem is that without it I’m not able to open all shares from the finder, a message tells me I do not have permissions. I’m using the admin account from my Mac. What can I do?

This update bricked my LiveDuo. No SSH access before upgrade.

Ping returns:

ping 192.168.x.x
PING 192.168.x.x (192.168.x.x): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Host is down
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
Request timeout for icmp_seq 2
Request timeout for icmp_seq 3