New Release - My Book Live Firmware Version 02.32.05-046 (9/26/12)

rtwng wrote:

Same problem here. I buy mine this morning, I have been reading the guides to restore firmware, but as I haven’t copy any data on it, my solution is more simple, tomorrow I’ll go to the store to give the unit and get my money back.

Unfortunately this is the only advice we can give at the moment. If you read through this forum the devices are basically worthless.

Take it back - get your money back and invest in another device.

Hello guys.

I updated my firmware yesterday and was baffled to find this morning that the My Book Live web interface didn’t accept my password. For the record, immediately after the update I was able to access the UI and I certainly haven’t changed my credentials. I reset the thing as the manual says I should /I held the reset button for about 4 seconds while the device was working/ and for a moment I thought it was fixed. The web interface was accessible but the shares I had created were not. I created shares with the same names as the old ones so that I could open my stored data. And then the UI suddenly crashed. I’ve been trying to access it for a couple of hours and there’s not a sign of it. I type http://NAS_IP and I see only a blank page. I tried at least three times the combination NAS reset +  computer reset + rooter reset, to no detectable result. Fortunately, at least my files are still untouched. 

Does anyone have a clue what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Edit: It seems as though if you don’t have SSH enabled on such a drive it’s pretty much hopeless. :frowning:

fethry wrote:

Hello guys.

I updated my firmware yesterday and was baffled to find this morning that the My Book Live web interface didn’t accept my password. For the record, immediately after the update I was able to access the UI and I certainly haven’t changed my credentials. I reset the thing as the manual says I should /I held the reset button for about 4 seconds while the device was working/ and for a moment I thought it was fixed. The web interface was accessible but the shares I had created were not. I created shares with the same names as the old ones so that I could open my stored data. And then the UI suddenly crashed. I’ve been trying to access it for a couple of hours and there’s not a sign of it. I type http://NAS_IP and I see only a blank page. I tried at least three times the combination NAS reset +  computer reset + rooter reset, to no detectable result. Fortunately, at least my files are still untouched. 

Does anyone have a clue what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Edit: It seems as though if you don’t have SSH enabled on such a drive it’s pretty much hopeless. :frowning:

The link below will allow you to recover all of your data as well as fix the issue, however please note that you will be voiding the three year warranty by doing so. There have been cases where customers were allowed to proceed without voiding there warranty, my advice would be to first contact western digital via telephone tell them what’s going on and ask for approval before proceeding. If you do decide to go through note that there are two procedures on this document the first one lets you keep you data, while the second rebuilds the partition and erases your data.

And the probelm was WD’s fault they haven’t been relseaing stable firmware updates for the past 7 months now.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-How-to-unbrick-a-totally-dead-MBL/m-p/435724/highlight/true#M12669> I hope I was able you help you out best of luck…

Well, after some reading I came to the same conclusion, Thank you anyway. :slight_smile:

fethry wrote:

Well, after some reading I came to the same conclusion, Thank you anyway. :slight_smile:

if your data is backed up and you dont need to recover it, ask them for a RMA

i’m begging for the hotfix of this updates…

i cant access my public (it more like the MBL dont give permission to access it)

then i try to make a new private shares, and voila, i cant open it too ( its keep asking for credential password that i didnt made)

all i can access is smartware and timemachinebackup folder.

please, all my data in public folder…

should i put my MBL to shutdown for a momment? cause its like busy all the time, no idle.

is it all problem cause of the firmware update?or some thing else?

its all work before i upgrade the firmware.

trying using linux diskinternals to recover your data. After the data recovery you might have to factory restore the device to get it back in working order. But I’d suggest contacting WD’s tech support.

I am using FTP to access all my data on the drive because windows wont let me in as well. Download a program called FileZilla and turn on FTP on the MyBookLive, and you should be able to access all your files on the drive and transfer them whereever you want to. 

I have just bought and installed  new 2tb MyBookLive and I get errors come up when trying to enter any of the setup details!! Infact nothing appears to work in the crappy software!

I can access the software and the drive is visible, but I can’t create a user, edit the settings! Enable remote access!!!

EVERYTIME I GET AN ERROR SCREEN!

ERROR - 31550

ERROR 32111

AND SO ON!

CAN SOMEONE OFFER ANY ADVICE on how to approach this or which route to take so WD give advice.

So far I’m extremely diappointed at how their setup has operated. the software appears to be utterly useless!

The only saving grace is that I can copy files to the drive which is connected to my BT homehu 3.

Alex

Absolute rubbish so far.

None of the setup software works, so most of what is offered on the box, is **bleep**!

No remote access!

No setup of users!

Etc.

WD - Start listening to your customers!!!

And respond…

I empathize and sympathize with those who are having problems with MyBookLive.  I also faced issues initially with my device, which I bought in September 2012. I wrote to WD Support, and it took almost a month to respond. I thought of returning the product to the vendor and asking for a refund. Then, for some unknown reason, however, the problems went away by themselves. 

I have learned (from painful experience) not to upgrade or update any product immediately a new version is released. I am still using the old Firmware version 02.11.09-053 : Core F/W and visiting the forum regularly to see if WD has fixed the bugs before I proceed to install the update. Apparently, from the comments, WD has done nothing.

My advice to those who haven’t installed the update, don’t! Stick with the old version for the time being if it is working perfectly for you.

Yes, WD should start listening to its customers and keep them posted on what’s happening.

I had a similar experience as theophilus.

After ordering, but before receiving, my 3TB MBL I read these forums and wondered about returning it unopened.
I decided to try it, but not update the firmware - it came with 02.11.09-053.  Thank you guys for this advice.

Initially, it was a dog.  Slow, never stopped working the disk and never slept.  I had not put much data on it so after a day of this I did full factory restore and low and behold, after that it has behaved itself and performed as I wanted.  It also goes to sleep with a nice blue light.

If I steer clear of Windows 8 and file versioning then I don’t see any reason to upgrade the firmware in future.

Of course, it is early days for me so maybe I am being too optimistic…

Don.

my book live it’s in “downloading 100%” one hour… 

I do? restart???..

May I have the direct download link pls? I can’t access the Web UI to upgrade automatically. Thnx…

After upgrade to this firmware, Twonky media server KEEP RESCAN again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again …

Please help … :frowning:

Anyone from WD know if there will be an update for the DUO?  I have a lot of these problems, but it doesn’t look like this update is for the MBL DUO.

dgibb2000 wrote:

Anyone from WD know if there will be an update for the DUO?  I have a lot of these problems, but it doesn’t look like this update is for the MBL DUO.

You should be looking in the DUO forum, then.  There’s several threads about an upcoming release.

Just upgraded to the latest FW. Everything worked smoothly through the process, after reboot everything was in order EXCEPT the LED. I have no green LED flashing. Hmmm, first i’ve tried shot off, then restart. When rebooting the led turns first BLUE then RED and after that it’s gone. BUT everything is working perfectly, login, shares, etc etc.

Well… what the **bleep** could be wrong? Anyone experienced the above?

P.S. the funny thing about the LED issue… about a year ago there were a lot of discutions about MBL going to sleep (led going from green to blue), now my LED blacked out and is still an issue :smileyvery-happy:

Cheers and a Happy New Year!

_BLiTZ_ wrote:

Just upgraded to the latest FW. Everything worked smoothly through the process, after reboot everything was in order EXCEPT the LED. I have no green LED flashing. Hmmm, first i’ve tried shot off, then restart. When rebooting the led turns first BLUE then RED and after that it’s gone. BUT everything is working perfectly, login, shares, etc etc.

Well… what the **bleep** could be wrong? Anyone experienced the above?

P.S. the funny thing about the LED issue… about a year ago there were a lot of discutions about MBL going to sleep (led going from green to blue), now my LED blacked out and is still an issue :smileyvery-happy:

Cheers and a Happy New Year!

Don’t worry about it.  Lots of folks have LEDs that don’t work right.  It’s a multi-color LED, and some times one or more of the colors don’t work.

Yes but it worked just before the update. Anyway, the red color when booting worries me, now I’m waiting for the full diagnostic test to finish… it takes forever.