New Release - My Book Live Firmware Version 02.32.05-046 (9/26/12)

WD is happy to announce our latest firmware update for the My Book Live - version 02.32.05-144 and 02.32.05-046

For the firmware update and release notes please check out the My Book Live Product Update page.

For instructions on how to do an automatic update, please refer to Answer ID 5735: How to update the firmware on a My Book Live or My Book Live Duo

It  was a nail-biter, but the update was ultimately “somewhat” (see below) successful.

I saw this morning (Berlin, Germany local time) that there was a new update. Fully cognizant of the recent problems, I decided to go for it.

The first attempt produced the error 33146 (or something like this) “Update Unsuccessful” after about thirty seconds.

Undaunted - I guess because fundamentally I have great faith in a “higher power” (and I don’t mean WD technology here) -  I decided to try it again.

The progress bar went to 10%, then to 24% - and I figured I was on my way. Then, however, it went BACK to 10% and stayed there spinning for about 10 minutes. At this point, I figured I was in hot water, so I went to the kitchen to boil some real hot water - for tea. By the time I came back it was up to 50%.

I went back to the kitchen to actually make the tea, and when I got back, I was told the download had been successful and the drive would reboot. It did.

The re-initialization process took quite awhile (10-12 minutes), but now I’ve got a blinking green light again, and I’m able to access my data on the network:catvery-happy:.

I guess this won’t be a very satisfying ending for WD or the other people who use advanced features like shares and remote access. I don’t use them and have no idea if the update has resolved the previous issues.

For my purposes, though, the update was pretty much successful (see below), although I see no difference whatsoever in the length of time it takes, for example, to open the dashboard and transfer data.

I did a super un scientific “transfer-speed” test and found, using my egg timer, that it took about three minutes and twenty seconds to transfer 1.27gb of “general stuff” from my computer to the drive using my WinXP - supposedly gigabit - network. I don’t have any benchmarks, but it doesn’t appear noticeably different than before. 

Your mileage may vary.

Oh, since this was one of the reported problems, I’m going to wait awhile to see if it goes to sleep. Withe .053 software, this generally happened after about ten minutes of inactivity. I think I’ll go make breakfast …

Well, it’s now about an hour later and the green light is still blinking.:manmad: Hmmmm,  I guess this means the update has - again - broken something that worked before.

I’ll post again if and when the nice blue light comes on.

For me it’s not such a big deal because the drive is actually turned off about ninety percent of the time. I only turn it on every other day or so when I do a back up. I also have six other back-up drives, and the MBL is only a small part of a highly redundant systam.

Having said this, of course I like it when all my machines work the way they’re s’posed to. Since the drive still - now after about an hour and a half - hasn’t gone into sleep mode, as I’ve said, I’ll have to term the update only “somewhat successful.”

I’ve asked about this several times before, let’s see if I get an answer this time… I’m not holding my breath though, but here goes:

After this update, the drive still won’t stay asleep despite the drive being the only thing powered on and/or connected to the Airport Extreme Base Station (wireless or otherwise). In the logs, this is what I see:

Sep 27 10:35:28 Albert logger: exit standby after 328 (since 2012-09-27 10:30:00.285749359 +0200)
Sep 27 10:49:53 Albert logger: exit standby after 7 (since 2012-09-27 10:49:46.377747021 +0200)
Sep 27 11:00:08 Albert logger: exit standby after 6 (since 2012-09-27 11:00:02.377749714 +0200)
Sep 27 11:19:34 Albert logger: exit standby after 7 (since 2012-09-27 11:19:27.629739909 +0200)
Sep 27 11:35:28 Albert logger: exit standby after 345 (since 2012-09-27 11:29:43.289749655 +0200)
Sep 27 11:49:51 Albert logger: exit standby after 7 (since 2012-09-27 11:49:44.606241858 +0200)
Sep 27 12:05:28 Albert logger: exit standby after 328 (since 2012-09-27 12:00:00.265749154 +0200)

Twonky is turned off, iTunes server is turned off, remote access is turned off, nothing would be able to access it. Still, the drive won’t stay asleep. Do you have any idea why this is?

Sorry…I posted to the wrong release.  My issue is with Firmware version:   02.11.09-053  I have re-posted appropriately.

This is a minor update to my previous post.

At about noon today, I left the house; I turned the drive off (with the dashboard) before I left. By the way, maybe I should mention here that I have neither SmartWare nor TimeMachine installed.

It’s now about 2:30. As soon as I came home I turned the drive back on. All “obvious” systems are “go”: I can access both my data and the dashboard.

I’m going to have to wait awhile to see whether the drive goes to sleep. I checked in the dashboard, and “sleep mode” (or whatever it’s called) is checked.

I’ll keep you posted.

Is there a direct download to the deb file so that we can upgrade locally?

After about an hour, the blue light is on, and my newly updated MBL is slumbering nicely.

Hmmm, just to test, I think I’ll wake it up.

It woke up as expected. :smiley:

For me, at least, this update has been OK.

JoeyG wrote:

After about an hour, the blue light is on, and my newly updated MBL is slumbering nicely.

Hmmm, just to test, I think I’ll wake it up.

It woke up as expected. :smiley:

For me, at least, this update has been OK.

If you check user.log, how long did it stay asleep? I mean, I see the blue light and I can wake it up. My problem is it wakes itself up :slight_smile:

HalexF wrote:

If you check user.log, how long did it stay asleep? I mean, I see the blue light and I can wake it up. My problem is it wakes itself up :slight_smile:

Hi HalexF,

I only let it sleep a couple of minutes before waking it up.

I’ll watch it over the next couple of hours and report again.

Either this is old news or mybooklive doesn’f want to find the update!!!

Current F/w is  02.32.05-144 which was released a while ago? is the 02.32.05-046 f/w an update to this or are WD still running split versioning of Firmwares?

was the update pulled againnn??? i cant seem to download it from the WD website

I’ve now been observing the drive for about four hours.

It goes to sleep as it should, but as soon any there’s any activity on my network, either locally or with the internet, the light goes from blue to solid green.

It only “flashes” green when I directly access it.

I can understand why local network activity would cause the drive to go “on alert” (solid green color), but I’m not sure why using the internet does.

In any case, as I’ve said, the update pretty much does what it should, at least in my context, i.e., no shares, no remote access.

Theagustin wrote:

was the update pulled againnn??? i cant seem to download it from the WD website

I think they’ve got the manual update turned off.

02.32.05-144 and 02.32.05-046 are equivalent. The 02.32.05-144 was the patch for those people that downloaded the firmware before we pulled it. You are up to date.

And yes - you can not manual update at this time. You will need to go into the dashboard and do a check for update if it hasn’t already detected the new firmware.

JoeyG wrote:

I’ve now been observing the drive for about four hours.

It goes to sleep as it should, but as soon any there’s any activity on my network, either locally or with the internet, the light goes from blue to solid green.

It only “flashes” green when I directly access it.

I can understand why local network activity would cause the drive to go “on alert” (solid green color), but I’m not sure why using the internet does.

Okay, thanks. The funny thing is, I see the exact same sleep pattern when I’m using my Apple TV, pulling content from the MBL constantly, having my computer turned on with hourly backups via Time Machine and so on. Five minutes here, a few seconds there…

Only once have I seen it asleep for hours, that was when my laptop was at a friends’ house over night. But I mean, I turn it off at night so there really shouldn’t be any different…

It’s very strange, in any case. And there still has been no answer from any WD staff… Not to say “oh, that’s odd” or “we know about the problem” or anything else. Equally strange behaviour from them as from the MBL in other words. Must be a WD thing :wink:

Hi

I have updated from 02.32.05-044 to 02.32.05-144 via Dashboard with success.

Since the version before addition of AirPlay funtionality to the MBL/WD2GO app,  I haven’t been able to use remote access via WD2GO, but with this patch all functionality is back to normal, except LED light. But it is a minor problem to me.

If no new “missing features” arrive in the near future, I will sit back relaxing and won’t upgrade more firmware :dizzy_face:

Regards

Brondt

@HalexF

I’m going to have to revise my analysis.

The light has now been solid blue for a couple of hours. What changed in the constellation is that I turned off my Lenovo S20, which might have “wake-on-lan” still activated in the BIOS, though I’m not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Perhaps even more important is the fact that the S20 is the only one of the nine computers we have that runs Win7 (pro x64). All the others have 32-bit XP SP3.

Currently there are two cable-connected computers and one on wi-fi running on our little network. As I’ve said, the light has been blue since I turned off the S20 a couple of hours ago.

Which OS are you using?

I haven’t changed firmware since last spring, and my MBL has always gone from green to blue and back seemingly at random. Considering that I have a desktop, two laptops, two printers, a Roku, a web-enabled blu-ray player, a Kindle and a smartphone on the local network, I’m pretty sure I’ll never figure out what’s causing it to wake. Not a big deal to me though.

Having a problem updating IP address of both my WD Live, 1 TB and 2 TB, drives not updating their DHCP information.  If I have to boot the router for any reason I have to unplug the drives and restart them to obtain new IP address.

I did not have to do this with previous firmwares.

Haven’t started updating yet, but the update notification is point to the wrong release notes.

It’s pointing to http://support.wdc.com/nas/rel.asp?f=http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfmb_live23205#38;lang=eng which is the 2.32.05 - 144 release notes.