New Release - Firmware Version 2.10.12-129 for My Book Live (3/14/12)

I certainly agree that I have had better success in downloading the update file first and then doing the update from that file rather than having it downloaded on-the-fly.

However, I did this 2 weeks ago, and although the UI is functional, it has never gotten back to normal speed.

If I make the /etc/hosts file mod, it speeds up a lot, but I don’t seem to have Internet access.

I just tested it again today after verifying the contents of the /etc/hosts file and the  /etc/nsswitch.conf   file listed a couple of posts ago. Both seemed to be as described.  (I currently do not have the name of my MBL on the first name of the /etc/hosts file.)

The Dashboard was still functional, but still very slow.  Internet Access passed, however and was “good.”

the HumpMan

I thought maybe assigning a static IP could be a problem.  I’ve tried assigning a static IP and a specific DNS IP, bit even when I assign my choice of DNS after a while the MBL changes it to what the router would givre it if DHCP was set.

Even I’m stumped with loss of Internet connectivity if the host file is corrected.  It’s because on my MBL everything is working fine.  When I take the name of my MBL out of the hosts file the appropriate Apache2 error log file starts flagging up faults but the Dashboard UI does not slow down.

Looks like my MBL has the solution to fix the slow Dashboard UI issues a lot of people have got but I don’t know where to look to find what is correct in my MBL and then let everyone on here know.

HumpMan wrote:

I have not tried fixing the IP address of the MBL.  I have been letting it get it’s IP from the router via DHCP.

While I realize this could affect a lot of things, the IP address seems to be staying the same.

the HumpMan

Ok, now I see something different.

I went back in and added “MyBookLive” to the first line of th etc/hosts file again.

Dashboard came up very fast.  I then did the “Check for Updates” selection and I DID get the response that “Your Firmware is Up To Date.”

Then I went to the “Network” screen and got “No Internet Access.”

I went back to the “Updates” option on the “System” screen and now I get:

31109 - No Internet access. Check your network and try again.

I go back to the “Network” screen and now it says “Good” for Internet Acess!

I go back to the “Updates” option and now that works again!

I don’t know what’s happening, but I think I am seeing improvement.

the HumpMan

What you’ve just experienced and witnessed seems to defy logic.

I wonder if when changing the hosts file something somewhere does not notice so maybe a reboot of the MyBook Live is required after changing the /etc/hosts file?

Myron,

I tried rebooting both my router and the MBL the first time I tried editing the file.

So I exited from Dashboard, and re-entered.

This time, I went straight for the “Network” test and got a “Good.”

So then I went to the Update Check and got “No Network Connection.”

I checked that the “Network” screen still showed a “Good” and went back to the Update Check.  This time I got the “Your Firmware is Up To Date” message.

Very flaky.  But now my MBL is more like yours than it was!

the HumpMan

What if the problem lies with the Internet access provider?  We all think that our computers have a direct connection to a web server but usually this is not the case. Web conections are made through some sort of caching server unless it’s a SSL encrypted link.

I’ve recently had on and off issues with Google but if I use the encrypted link version of Google everything seems to work fine.

anotherpaul wrote:

Well got my replacement of a replacement; did the ssh, copied my 220+ gig media/files to the replacement.  The “new” MBL came with the 2.10.12-129 firmware.

My apologies to WDC. 

I forgot that I had to be in Dashboard to do the SSH telnet; I had just entered the mybooklive/ui/ssh while not in dashboard.   Still a bit convoluted hidden way of doing it.

Will be getting a new router that has a usb3 port to go with my usb3 hdd; will be doing reconfigs as its “native” ip mode is different; rather use the default instead of changing it to what is on the current router as may forget later.

i just got my mybooklive today. updated it and the update totally fried it. it just cycles thru blue and yellow. i would suggest NOT downloading this update. so i called wd support and they are sending me a new one but until they recieve my old one, theyre charging me $195.00. thats paying for two of them now. i chose that option so i could get it right away.

mrbatch wrote:

So is this a safe update to apply? WD have you tested this thoroughly?

update: i called wd and told them i didnt know about the charge that i needed the money too bad and they took my debit card off and still sending me a new one on good faith that ill return the broken one i should get the funds back in my account by fri or mon. theyre awesome

I have the same problem.  I updated my firmware for my first 2 TB drive which was older and that was successful. 

My more recent 2 TB backup drive hung during the update so now I have no dashboard access to redo the firmware update. 

Can someone from WD create a simple desktop application that allows the user to update the firmware without having to use the browser?  Just a simple non-GUI console application is fine.

Currently I have no access to my dashboard.  I get the main screen but none of the options.  (See below)

Hi L943973

My screen looked exactly liked yours.

Unfortunately I did not have SSH enabled.

I spend about 1 month investigating how I can fix my problem, but after one month of trying, it was a waste of time.

→ If you do not have SSH enabled, your only solution is to return the product for RMA replacement.

I used the Advance RMA, got my replacement first, then copied all my files to the new disk, and sent back the old one.

Just an update/summary from me:

-Mistakenly applied the update, caused slow drive and funky lights and corrupt UI (page 7 of this thread)

-Called them, they sent new drive without prepaid label and they charged my credit or debit for the drive $280ish

-Updated new drive to the latest firmware before this broken one

-Copied Videos/Data to the new drive and deleted them from the old one

-Sent old drive back in package I got with the new one and paid ~$15 to send it

-Currently awaiting to be refunded $280

So basically, I’m short over $300 atm and awaiting a $280 refund. But I’m happy with my new drive on 2.10-124 or whatever.

If I have NO SSH enabled, and can not get into UI, is any way I can update the firmware ?

For those with Dashboard speed issues, ssh in and check to see that you aren’t getting errors on the nic interface.

For example, you don’t want to see any RX, TX packet errors on eth0:

MyBookLive:/etc# ifconfig -a
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 
          inet addr:192.168.1.103  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::290:a9ff:feb3:72f9/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:12460094 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:6491176 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:2768467156 (2.5 GiB)  TX bytes:564439955 (538.2 MiB)
          Interrupt:36

In reference to the fix to speed up UI:

If you´re like me and feel oooohhh so special that you have instantly renamed your drive :-) - then remember to change “MyBookLive” in the hosts file with your own name for the device.

BTW just received my 3TB version. Immediate impressions:

- Updated from 128 → 129. Stuck at reboot but otherwise OK.

- Can´t uninstall 1.5.0 WD NotSoSmartWare. I HATE having stuff in Windows I can´t clean up. BAD DOG, WD!

- I have invested in an SSD and loving it but I actually find the MyBooks ticking and spinning annoying. Much more than in the reviews. Thinking of hiding it in a box. :slight_smile:

Random questions - If you by chance know the answer:

→ I want to put my dropbox local cache on the MyBook - bad idea?

→ I have a Samsung TV D7000. What special voodoo do I need to make things as good as possible?

→ Best way to test the transfer rate?

This is an awesome forum and with dedicated users. I appreciate every bit of information. WD should kiss you all - well almost all of you - on the forehead and say: “Thank you beautiful and valuable customer. You are the reason I exist. I promise to include a new version of Twonky soon and fix all the other stuff. Really. I proooooomise! Please send more money, though.”

jakobjb

You’re a genius ! completely solves the slow issue on my end!

congrats,

Rodolphe

can someone put a summary of how to resolve the dashboard slowness problem?Most of us are too late realize the problem AFTER upgrade the firmware…

Hi rodolgo, where is jakobjb’s post?

I bought My book live two days back and wanted to upgrade to the latest…I successfully upgraded but not without issues.

First thing I found out was that the firmware was very old. If I upgrade directly to latest it would fail because of some issues with Network update.

I followed the below method:

1. Upgrade first to 124 version one and not 129 one

2. Then upgrade to 129 version

3. It will stop at 10 % and hang ( wait for 1 hour)

4. Close the browser

5. Open the browser and click on link to upgrade next to the red exclamatory mark. (Ignore the previous upgrade firmware display box)

6. This time it will upgrade and install the new firmware.

Device is faster and better after this upgrade.

The one question everyone will ask is for the URLs to use in the browser to obtain the firmware files so a progressive upgrade can be performed.

Now I got a few firmware upgrade files but, alas, I assume (I’m sure someone from W.D. will be able to confirm?) I’m not allowed to provide links to my own copies, say, to a DropBox account because for one it’s not an official distribution and how can anyone know that such firmware files have not been infected or doctored.

Best place to get them is directly from W.D, so, where is the archive of firmware update files on W.D.'s site?  :smiley:

wangph wrote:

can someone put a summary of how to resolve the dashboard slowness problem?Most of us are too late realize the problem AFTER upgrade the firmware…

Hi rodolgo, where is jakobjb’s post?

Read this post

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/New-Release-Firmware-Version-2-10-12-129-for-My-Book-Live-3-14/m-p/373795/highlight/true#M9909

And this (original Jakob’s post)

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/New-Release-Firmware-Version-2-10-12-129-for-My-Book-Live-3-14/m-p/373625/highlight/true#M9889