New Release - Firmware Version 02.10.09-124 for My Book Live (11/17/11)

Hi,

So what can I do, if my drive has already made the update and I have a blank page when reaching the dashboard ?

Myron wrote:

My advise is…  Right after you read this, enable the SSL feature.

Login to the Dashboard in the usual way, at the menu change to the browsers web address http://mybooklive.local/UI/ssh, load that page and enable it. Just in case the Dashboard UI dies. If you do, don’t put your NAS on the router’s DMZ or set a port forward to port 22 until you change the password from welc0me to something more secure.

My friend, I wish I knew. I know it does not help but I got SSH enabled which means that I can use Telnet and SFTP on my NAS to take out and put in files onto the NAS.  Useful to get at the back end to fix a broken Dashboard UI.

WD’s advise will be to send it back to them.  They also state that hundreds of thousands of MBL’s take the update without problems.

I got to admit that since the firmware was upgraded on mine, I’ve not rebooted it or shut it down and I don’t think I wish to until the next firmware update becomes available. From what I’ve read I wionder if I reboot my MBL, will the Dashboard UI die on mine?   Right at the moment my MBL is operating fine and dandy.  The Dashboard UI is operating quite swiftly.  Even with Twonky enabled the device goes to sleep for reasonable lengths of time.

Short of cracking open the case, attaching the drive to a computer to gain access to files to try and fix the problem or recover the files of the drive…   Send the thing back to Western Digital for a swap?

What if you take your MBL to a friend’s house and try accessing it there? Just to eliminate an issue with your computers and network.

If anyone else reading this has got a better solution, would be good to hear.

From what I’ve also seen on here, the MBL’s have been disabled or bricked where the owners are technically clueless of messing around with Linux, let alone knowing what SSH, PuTTY and SFTP is all about.

If this is really the case then there is something seriously wrong.

after update new firmware my wd2go can’t use …??

WDTony wrote:

We tested sleep pretty extensively this time. It may be something else on your network. Do you have a browser window open to the My Book Live Dashboard? We do make calls to the drive from the Dashboard, so that will keep it from sleeping. Also, if you use the Quickview application, that also makes calls from time to time. Disable that app to see if it sleeps. I have been running this several months here at WD and at home and see it sleeping most of the time.

Well, apparently you guys went a bit too far … I just found out that this following line in monitorio.sh was the reason why my MBL always immediately came back from standby even though there was no Twonky or anything running:

logger "Enter standby"

Like others I used to see “exit standby after 60something seconds” all the time in the syslog and after a while figured out that logging this “Enter standy” message actually woke up the harddrive (since rsyslog is writing a new line to /var/log/messages and /var/log/user.log) … so logging this message defeats the whole purpose of the standby-detection going on in monitorio.sh - once the script detects that the harddrive is in standby it wakes it up … oh boy, not very clever!

Once I commented that line out my MBL went to standby for much longer than the usual 60 seconds (it’s always 60+ seconds just because of the “sleep 60” command at the end of that fucntion, actually the harddrive is running immediately after that “Enter standby” message is being logged), depending on what else was going on with the MBL …

Just fixed it an hour ago, so I’ll check my syslog tomorrow morning to see how often it comes back from standby now (and probably why it does so) …

OK, apparently that “Enter standby” message kept waking up my MBL because of the issue described in:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/Huge-MBL-Operating-System-File-Could-It-Be-Preventing-Sleep/td-p/302320

I had a huge daemon.log.1 with 300MB (mostly that stupid "cnid_metad[1919]: error in accept: Socket operation on non-socket " message) in /var/log … hence the RAMLOG service wasn’t used and ALL logging went directly to disk always waking it up from standby.

Once I removed the file and rebooted my MBL, ramlog was able to perform its duties … however, on this reboot I got tons of new cnid_metad-Errors filling up the ramlog-Ramdisk fast … :frowning:

Since I don’t need that useless Apple stuff at all, I used update-rc.d to remove netatalk from init.d and hopefully I’ll never see that error again.

Please explain update-rc.d.  Where is it and how best to use it to safely disable netatalk that will not break anything else?

See my post “Red LED, web interface accessible, drive usually mounts via share - MyBook Live (3TB), Windows 7” submitted  12/20 around 6:45am CST.

I am a Linux-head for about 15 years, and will look over this (and related posts) when I return from work.

The odd/good news is that my unit’s web interface is still working. b Prior to the upgrade, I had verified good access to the drive via WD2go.  Is there any chance that WD could access my drive remotely for a closer look?
(I would be willing to tweak my firewalls to make this possible, if this option seems reasonable and beneficial.)

Lisa B., bolingbrook, Illinois (polarpal99)

[WD - feel free to email me directly, if need be; I assume you can ge the address from my profile]

I just tried to update the firmare.

The little window in the web browser says it was successful and the device is initializaing.  But the window has been hanging like this for 10 minutes and the little starburst circle has stopped spinning.  What do I do?

OK it finally finished, but the device is acting sluggish.

And the the iphone wd2go app (which I updated yesterday) now says my device is offline.

I am guesstimating that your MyBook Live is rebuilding internal databases since the upgrade.  Give it a while, try again and see if the speed improves.  Best wait for the LED to be mostly showing a solid on green or blue.

I have tried and updated firmware using IE, and got the message that successful upgrade is done.

But now when I am trying to access GUI, its giving me BLANK page.

Kindly help.

Great… Still almost not possible to access the dashboard or get kicked out.
Any progress on solving this?
Is there a workaround/ downgrade without losing data?
Please post that so that we can at least continue with the MBL.

Tnx,
Johan

Did you enable SSH?  If yes then I might be able to help you.  If no then even I would be stuck in such a situation.

Already been (with a previous firmware) in this situation where it was worse. It seemed like the internal web server within the MyBook Live failed to intialise or configured itself to deny access. Luckily SSH was enabled so I managed to copy the firmware upgrade file directly into the MyBook Live’s data partition and directly invoke the script to perform a formware upgrade which got it all working saving me from R.M.A.ing my MyBook Live.

This firmware seems to be working fine, but I have encountered small anomalies which I have documented and discusses within this forum.

There are many reasons why the Dashboard UI gets bricked, BUT I have noticed files of zero length being created in the root folder of the MyBook Live’s operating system partition and the names of the files related to the Apachi2 web server.  I was like some sort of script, in the process of re-writing certain files and it went horribly wrong and the files a script was creating got created in the wrong place!

It’s an possible explanation for everyone help and sorry if it does not fix the provlem with your MyBook Live.  If utilising the reset switch does not work as well as powering down then powering up the MBL and it’s not a network problem or similar then there really is not much choice but to send it back to Western Digital and get it swapped.

For anyone else reading this . . . .

DON’T DAWDLE OR THINK . . . TURN ON THE S</strong><strong>SH FACILITY RIGHT NOW !!!

Make sure your MyBook Live’s port 22 is NOT routed out to the Internet at least without firstly changing the default password from welc0me to something A LOT more seciure!!!

1 Like

Myron wrote:

Best wait for the LED to be mostly showing a solid on green or blue.

Before this latest firmware my LED worked fine, after the new firmware reboot - no more LED…

Thanks, but I dont have shh turned on. I can still access the shares. So I could salvage the data to my laptops. Is there a way to restore to the Factory settings without using the dashboard that doesn’t anymore for me? That way I could go back to factory firmware and upgrade the version 1 firmware to the 2 firmware that worked for me, right? Is restoring to factory settings possible without the dashboard?

Unless you’re ready to open-up the MBL, connect the drive to another computer and mess about and make alterations that way then you’re pretty well [Deleted]

The W.D. MyBook Live is quite an impressive gadget to have and use but W.D. have REALLY [Deleted] up monumentally with the recovery procedure.

With the LaCie NAS one can de-brick it using just the power switch from a 100% bricked state.

There are loads of ways to that W.D, could work round the problem but whatever W.D. does the reset action has to be started very early on in the MyBook Live’s boot-up procss. It can be done as long as the hardware has not been badly designed.  One route would be when applying power with the reset button depressed that recovery action is taken to reset the Linux NAS OS to a working state without wiping ou the user’s data.

I have a sneeky suspicion that the hardware does not send the trigger to start a reset until 4 seconds have elapsed.

Still, it’s up to W.D.'s NAS development team to sort out this mess.

All honesty, if I would have known thet the NAS recovery process was so flawed, I would have never purchased the MBL, but I got it, it works and direct access to it’s inner software workings has helped me not have to R.M.A. it when I ended up with a bricked Dashboard UI.

Can’t believe they removed the USB port from it with all the others having a USB port.  Like, why?

Same problem with my MBL 2TB LED and the newest firmware. Now there is no fast control of the device status. LED is always off!

Myron

I have the ssh enabled and even after a direct copy of firmware to device thru winScp and updating the device thru putty with updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /CacheVolume/apnc-021009-124-20111113.deb doesnot helped me.

I got a mail from device saying firmware succfully updated yet I dont have my UI back.Once I put my user id there is still a blank page.

Is it cos of cake and PHP framework which causing this trouble(as read thru some other thread?)

What ever it would this be fixed thru next firmware upgrade ? If we cant fix that thru firmware upgrade can sombody tell me how to fix it  thru ssh ?

Appreciate everyones help

-Eff

Forgot to mention that my LEDS too are dead,it blinks once in a full moon and when it blinks defenitly its not Green light!

Most of the time ther is no light even when I read and write to the shares.

-Eff

hi friends,  :)
In my house i have 2  my book live and,  after last fm,  in the first mbl the led is green  and in  other mbl the led green is always OFF.
I no understand why…