New Release - Firmware Version 02.10.09-124 for My Book Live (11/17/11)

WDTony wrote:

We tested sleep pretty extensively this time. It may be something else on your network. Do you have a browser window open to the My Book Live Dashboard? We do make calls to the drive from the Dashboard, so that will keep it from sleeping. Also, if you use the Quickview application, that also makes calls from time to time. Disable that app to see if it sleeps. I have been running this several months here at WD and at home and see it sleeping most of the time.

Well, apparently you guys went a bit too far … I just found out that this following line in monitorio.sh was the reason why my MBL always immediately came back from standby even though there was no Twonky or anything running:

logger "Enter standby"

Like others I used to see “exit standby after 60something seconds” all the time in the syslog and after a while figured out that logging this “Enter standy” message actually woke up the harddrive (since rsyslog is writing a new line to /var/log/messages and /var/log/user.log) … so logging this message defeats the whole purpose of the standby-detection going on in monitorio.sh - once the script detects that the harddrive is in standby it wakes it up … oh boy, not very clever!

Once I commented that line out my MBL went to standby for much longer than the usual 60 seconds (it’s always 60+ seconds just because of the “sleep 60” command at the end of that fucntion, actually the harddrive is running immediately after that “Enter standby” message is being logged), depending on what else was going on with the MBL …

Just fixed it an hour ago, so I’ll check my syslog tomorrow morning to see how often it comes back from standby now (and probably why it does so) …