Occasional Advisor
romeozulu

Re: New Release - Firmware Version 02.10.09-124 for My Book Live (11/17/11)

Hi,

So what can I do, if my drive has already made the update and I have a blank page when reaching the dashboard ?

Myron wrote:

My advise is...  Right after you read this, enable the SSL feature.

Login to the Dashboard in the usual way, at the menu change to the browsers web address http://mybooklive.local/UI/ssh, load that page and enable it. Just in case the Dashboard UI dies. If you do, don't put your NAS on the router's DMZ or set a port forward to port 22 until you change the password from `welc0me` to something more secure.

Honored Contributor
Myron

[ Edited ]

My friend, I wish I knew. I know it does not help but I got SSH enabled which means that I can use Telnet and SFTP on my NAS to take out and put in files onto the NAS.  Useful to get at the back end to fix a broken Dashboard UI.

WD's advise will be to send it back to them.  They also state that hundreds of thousands of MBL's take the update without problems.

I got to admit that since the firmware was upgraded on mine, I've not rebooted it or shut it down and I don't think I wish to until the next firmware update becomes available. From what I've read I wionder if I reboot my MBL, will the Dashboard UI die on mine?   Right at the moment my MBL is operating fine and dandy.  The Dashboard UI is operating quite swiftly.  Even with Twonky enabled the device goes to sleep for reasonable lengths of time.

Short of cracking open the case, attaching the drive to a computer to gain access to files to try and fix the problem or recover the files of the drive....   Send the thing back to Western Digital for a swap?

What if you take your MBL to a friend's house and try accessing it there? Just to eliminate an issue with your computers and network.

If anyone else reading this has got a better solution, would be good to hear.

From what I've also seen on here, the MBL's have been disabled or bricked where the owners are technically clueless of messing around with Linux, let alone knowing what SSH, PuTTY and SFTP is all about.

If this is really the case then there is something seriously wrong.

Established Member
klchiah

after update new firmware my wd2go can't use .....??

Occasional Visitor
tobias-b

WDTony wrote:

We tested sleep pretty extensively this time. It may be something else on your network. Do you have a browser window open to the My Book Live Dashboard? We do make calls to the drive from the Dashboard, so that will keep it from sleeping. Also, if you use the Quickview application, that also makes calls from time to time. Disable that app to see if it sleeps. I have been running this several months here at WD and at home and see it sleeping most of the time.

Well, apparently you guys went a bit too far ... I just found out that this following line in monitorio.sh was the reason why my MBL always immediately came back from standby even though there was no Twonky or anything running:

logger "Enter standby"

Like others I used to see "exit standby after 60something seconds" all the time in the syslog and after a while figured out that logging this "Enter standy" message actually woke up the harddrive (since rsyslog is writing a new line to /var/log/messages and /var/log/user.log) ... so logging this message defeats the whole purpose of the standby-detection going on in monitorio.sh - once the script detects that the harddrive is in standby it wakes it up ... oh boy, not very clever!

Once I commented that line out my MBL went to standby for much longer than the usual 60 seconds (it's always 60+ seconds just because of the "sleep 60" command at the end of that fucntion, actually the harddrive is running immediately after that "Enter standby" message is being logged), depending on what else was going on with the MBL ...

Just fixed it an hour ago, so I'll check my syslog tomorrow morning to see how often it comes back from standby now (and probably why it does so) ...

Occasional Visitor
tobias-b

OK, apparently that "Enter standby" message kept waking up my MBL because of the issue described in:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/Huge-MBL-Operating-System-File-Could-It-Be-Preventing-Sleep...

I had a huge daemon.log.1 with 300MB (mostly that stupid "cnid_metad[1919]: error in accept: Socket operation on non-socket " message) in /var/log ... hence the RAMLOG service wasn't used and ALL logging went directly to disk always waking it up from standby.

Once I removed the file and rebooted my MBL, ramlog was able to perform its duties ... however, on this reboot I got tons of new cnid_metad-Errors filling up the ramlog-Ramdisk fast ... :-(

Since I don't need that useless Apple stuff at all, I used update-rc.d to remove netatalk from init.d and hopefully I'll never see that error again.

Honored Contributor
Myron

Please explain `update-rc.d`.  Where is it and how best to use it to safely disable netatalk that will not break anything else?

Occasional Visitor
polarpal99

See my post "Red LED, web interface accessible, drive usually mounts via share - MyBook Live (3TB), Windows 7" submitted  12/20 around 6:45am CST.

I am a Linux-head for about 15 years, and will look over this (and related posts) when I return from work.

The odd/good news is that my unit's web interface is still working. b Prior to the upgrade, I had verified good access to the drive via WD2go.  Is there any chance that WD could access my drive remotely for a closer look?
(I would be willing to tweak my firewalls to make this possible, if this option seems reasonable and beneficial.)

Lisa B., bolingbrook, Illinois (polarpal99)

[WD - feel free to email me directly, if need be; I assume you can ge the address from my profile]

Occasional Advisor
Sviatapolk

I just tried to update the firmare.

The little window in the web browser says it was successful and the device is initializaing.  But the window has been hanging like this for 10 minutes and the little starburst circle has stopped spinning.  What do I do?

Occasional Advisor
Sviatapolk

OK it finally finished, but the device is acting sluggish.

And the the iphone wd2go app (which I updated yesterday) now says my device is offline.

Honored Contributor
Myron

I am guesstimating that your MyBook Live is rebuilding internal databases since the upgrade.  Give it a while, try again and see if the speed improves.  Best wait for the LED to be mostly showing a solid on green or blue.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD