New Release - Firmware Version 02.10.09-124 for My Book Live (11/17/11)

We tested sleep pretty extensively this time. It may be something else on your network. Do you have a browser window open to the My Book Live Dashboard? We do make calls to the drive from the Dashboard, so that will keep it from sleeping. Also, if you use the Quickview application, that also makes calls from time to time. Disable that app to see if it sleeps. I have been running this several months here at WD and at home and see it sleeping most of the time.

For WDTony,

Thanks for getting back to me on my continuing MBL 3TB Sleep problem. I should have mentioned it in my earlier post in this thread but I took care to move the browser away from the Dashboard while I was looking for the MBL to Sleep. I was however accessing the drive via SSH (via PuTTY) to capture the user.log. From previous trials I realize that if a browser is pointed to the MBL you get entries like:

“Oct 26 00:41:35 localhost apache2: 192.168.0.11 WebUI::session_id=d93e21b83c94185858db5bc3641a913c”

and that this keeps the MBL awake.  I think you may have mentioned this in a previous thread. (I don’t think accessing the MBL via SSH keeps it awake).  Also this continuous drive running (except for a one (1) second spindown every 10 minutes) occurs even if the router is disconnected from the MBL.

There are a couple of apps called Quickview (I have the real old one for viewing files). I presume you were talking about the newer Quickview app associated with iTunes. I don’t have that app nor do I have iTunes loaded on my WinXP SP3 computer. At any rate, no Quickview app was running when the log file was made (and the browser (FireFox 8.0) was not accessing (or even pointed to) the Dashboard). 

Since you don’t seem to have many (any?) drives in-house that exhibit this problem, I would be willing to try “anything” to resove this problem So feel free to ask me to try any sort of test or trial that you can think of to try and capture data that would help your gurus nail down this problem. I think that the MBL is a great concept and congratulations to WD for coming up with it. I would really like to get going with all the things that the MBL was designed for but am reluctant to start until “we” resolve the Sleep issue.

Regards,  WilliamH.

quickview is the little blue and white icon in your notification area that, when you hover over it, will show capacity, temperature status, and if you right click, lets you shut down or launch the dashboard

did this resolve the issue where if you transferred files it was hitting the wdc servers via webdav instead of directly?

Cman548,

What do you mean by that?  We allways have support direct connections between your My Book Live and your remote device. The issue is that not all routers are the same, and not all networks are the same. We have included a new option in the UI to allow you to specifically set the ports that WD 2go will use. You will then need to go into your router and configure port forwarding to the My Book Live IP to use those ports.

Just updated to the latest firmware that was released on 17th using automatic update via Chrome, just like what I did a couple weeks back. A little bit of a bumpy ride this time. I applied the update and then suddenly My Book Live got disconnected and even device manager fail to locate it properly (triangle exclamation mark). Tried updating the drivers as well but to no avail. This left me no choice but to reinstall WD SmartWare including the device drivers, in short, everything, before I could get it back online again - WHEW!!

Now the updated version seems to solve nearly everything I’ve encountered so far- thumbnail image preview is now fully functioning, the My Book Live drive icon under My Computer now being corrected (no more 2 identical and confusing icons showing wrong capacity info), lightning fast loading speed, and so much more.

Thank you, WD, for your excellent job and not forgetting us end users, unlike other companies do. You guys are truly one of a kind and please keep up the good work!!

Ah. Good point. The QuickView application. Yes, I do have that active. SmartWare is not installed. For me it’s not a big issue. I guess when all the computers are off then it makes sense for the MBL’s drive to spin-down and remain spun down until needed. Exactly what it’s doing.  Thanks.  :smiley:

WDTony wrote:

We tested sleep pretty extensively this time. It may be something else on your network. Do you have a browser window open to the My Book Live Dashboard? We do make calls to the drive from the Dashboard, so that will keep it from sleeping. Also, if you use the Quickview application, that also makes calls from time to time. Disable that app to see if it sleeps. I have been running this several months here at WD and at home and see it sleeping most of the time.

I was referencing that issue some were hving where transferring to private folders took way longer than public folders

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/Problems-with-WebDAV/m-p/277002/highlight/true#M5155

but I don’t have that issue, maybe it’s been fixed, just throwin it out there. 

We investigated that issue that Tonyph12345 reported and could not verify that this was caused by our NAS.

Hi all,

I bought a MBL 1TB just 2 days ago… Once I did the last firmware update for some reason I couldn’t get access to the Public folders anymore :frowning:

Is that a problem on a Mac with Lion? I read something about it but I thought it was ok now…

Also, the WD Check View icon on the top bar disappeared and there’s no way to get reinstate it but reinstalling MBL

It’s quite annoying actually… any suggestion?

Thanks guys

Same thing goes for me… Mac OS 10.7.2

Exactly, Mac OS 10.7.2 …I think that’s the problem :frowning:

Also, I got some problem using Firefox (8.0) when trying to get a remote access… and my Mac is slower than a slug :cry:

Upgrade via the WebUI went trhough fine. 2 issues so far

1. it removed my crontab :frowning: which I had to recreate from memory

2. oddly my XP PC’s could no longer access their mapped drives using the mybooklive hostname (mybooklive). I kept getting the wonderfull network connection failed windows message. I could ping the MBL by hostname and IP address

in the end I had to disconnect the mapped drives and recreate them using the IP address rather than the hostname. even a local hosts file in windows made no difference ?

Do people still have problems with the leds on this version?

I’ve updated mine but get the same problem that when the box goes to standby instead of a blue led I get none at all.

for fun this time i hovered over the quick view icon and selected update.  It tells you the update status in the quick view popup next to the temperature status.  Took 2 minutes to download, 3-4 minutes to install.  quickview disappeared while MBL rebooted, then came back.  No issues at all.  I skipped the last update, so I was updating from two versions back.

I noticed when I went to the dashboard it actually calls the IP directly instead of the http://mybooklive url that it used to call.  I think maybe that’s new, and might explain that question two posts back.

Camsh & Plutus01

Regarding OS X 10.7.2,  I have been running the FW update with no problems on my MacBook 6,1 w/ Lion. In fact it is quicker now accessing the larger folders in Public.

Gingernut wrote:

Do people still have problems with the leds on this version?

I’ve updated mine but get the same problem that when the box goes to standby instead of a blue led I get none at all.

Yep my LED has gone blank with this new firmware.

My MBL 2TB unit’s LED has worked just fine since purchase and tonight I did the firmware update - suddenly the unit no longer has a working LED. Great. What else has this firmware update messed up…

well after firmware update…

http://mynas 

does not load anymore

shares are still accessible, but even with no computers on, or anything accessing the nas, its constantly flashing green and making activity sounds. 

if you go to http://mynas:9000 I can load twonky and its not scaning and its UI loads. So just the WD Live UI is effed. 

Ideas WD Team?

Myron,

Do you know of a way to reset our MBL back to factory unboxed status without removing the hard drive?

Not the dashboard way that dosen’t do this, but a way to really wipe everything and reinstall from scratch as if you just bought it.

The file masterinstall.sh in /usr/local/sbin/ looks like it does this but I would like a second opinion.

I’ve had a quick look and don’t fully understand what the stript is trying to do. My advise is not to do it.

Consider this…   You fire this script up, it gets to some point past the “point of no return”, the script can’t find a particular resource that the owner does not have and you could end up with a 100% bricked MyBook Live…  Well…   It’ll me more like . . .

MyBook Died   . . . or . . .   MyBook Dead