Network drive not showing under safepoint scan

My MBL cant find the new drive thats attached to my router. Ive got a USB 2.0 1.5TB drive attached to my TP-Link WDR3600 router, and samba share has been activated for that drive, and I can see the share within Windows, but when the MBL scans the network, it doesnt find the drive.

Ive tried stopping and starting the samba share, rebooting my MBL, and rebooting the router doesnt help either. The drive is formatted as NTFS and not Fat32 as I have files that are over 4.5GB in size.

Does anybody have any ideas? I dont have access to any other NAS drives, so using USB2.0 through my router is the only option.

I am running a slightly old firmware because I dont want to upgrade without a safepoint to fall back on incase anything goes wrong, and I cant do a safepoint without the MBL finding my drive! Catch 22!

The same point is listed under another post but im reposting as I desparatly need help!!!

Try mapping the USB drive to your PC and then start safepoint. Sometimes this works because it gets broadcast on the network. Also be sure your network Workgroup is the same in the MBL as it is for your PC

Hi whsbuss

Ive mapped the USB drive to drive Z on my Win 7 computer, and double checked the workgroup, but still no joy.

Ive even tried going wired to my router (i was on 5Ghz wireless before), but still no joy! The scan for network drives finds my computer and my wireless printer, but not the usb drive. 

Anymore suggestions? Is there anyway I could do it manually via ssh? 

Thanks for your help so far.

Lightingman2003 wrote:

Hi whsbuss

Ive mapped the USB drive to drive Z on my Win 7 computer, and double checked the workgroup, but still no joy.

Ive even tried going wired to my router (i was on 5Ghz wireless before), but still no joy! The scan for network drives finds my computer and my wireless printer, but not the usb drive. 

Anymore suggestions? Is there anyway I could do it manually via ssh? 

Thanks for your help so far.

The only way safepoint (using rsync) works is by mounting a network drive in Linux. How does the USB show up on your PC? Is it in the Network section of Windows Explorer?

Yes, but i had to manually start the drive (ie going to “Run” and typing the router name in), it then opend up the drive within a Windows explorer window.

My old router showed the drive up automatically within Windows Explorer. I might take the USB drove back cos i dont think my router deals with samba correctly.

Lightingman2003 wrote:
Yes, but i had to manually start the drive (ie going to “Run” and typing the router name in), it then opend up the drive within a Windows explorer window.

My old router showed the drive up automatically within Windows Explorer. I might take the USB drove back cos i dont think my router deals with samba correctly.

What router are you using?

Im using a TP Link WDR3600. I was using my ISP’s Huawei HG533 before.

Its quite a new router, so i wonder if there are still bugs in the firmware?

Just thought, can I manually mount the drive through SSH?

Would that then force the MBL safepoint screen to recognise the drive? See here:
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/networking/2539-maping-network-drives-linux.html

Ive just come accross a solution (of kinds), incase anybody else has the same issue.

I re-configured the old router as basic switch (turned off wireless and DHCP, and set it an IP address in the format of the new router.

I then attached this router (via one of its LAN ports) to the lan port of my new router, and after a few attempts, the HDD showed up within Safepoint! Hooorah!!!

I know this is going to be slow, but its better being slow than not being backup up at all! 

Thanks for all your help