Need to require password for every share access

I work at a small medical office which wants to use their MBL to host confidential files.  They don’t want just anyone being able to walk up to the computer and accessing the private shares, so they need it to ask for a password every time someone opens one.  As it is currently set up it just asks for the password once on one of the shares and then gives access to all of them until the pc is reset.  

Can something be set up to requre a password every time access is required, or is there a better solution with another device?

mastermind729 wrote:

Can something be set up to requre a password every time access is required, or is there a better solution with another device?

No.  At least, not on the NAS.

*ALL* NASes will behave the same way – it’s a function of the client OS, not the NAS.

If this is Windows then (I’ll have to find where it is) you can set-up a local policy (if not a domain network) to tell the computer not to remember any passwords or give the option to remember password.

It can be done either by using the group policy editor or altering the rregsitry in the right place.

That sounds like what I would like to do. The office is just a collection of Windows 7 and 8 non-pro edition computers connected mostly by Wi-Fi. No server.

Myron wrote:

If this is Windows then (I’ll have to find where it is) you can set-up a local policy (if not a domain network) to tell the computer not to remember any passwords or give the option to remember password.

It can be done either by using the group policy editor or altering the rregsitry in the right place.

But IIRC, that only sets whether it remembers passwords across login sessions.   The user will remain connected though without the need for re-authentication for as long as they stay logged into the Windows session.