Need some help with partitions MBL

So I decided to pick up a WD MyBook Live (2TB) because it was god awful cheap…

I didn’t really buy it for the mybook part more so the drive part…  so i took the 2tb drive out and used that where i needed it… now i’ve got a 500gb drive that i just wanna play around with in the mybook live… is there a way to create the partitions manually if so what sizes and types etc…

So far I’ve:

1. downloaded the recovery cd

2. followed two steps one using a script and one manual

neither of them account for a blank drive and are instead geared at unbricking… i figured unbricking is the same as a new drive sans partitions from the instructions, apparently not so…

Anyone have a writeup or pointers in how to either 1. partition the drive correctly or 2. set up a new drive in the unit…  I get that maybe i need to have a 2tb drive in there in which case i won’t continue trying…

thanks!

This thread contains some pointers about partition sizes: http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-How-to-unbrick-a-totally-dead-MBL/m-p/435724

I would expect it to be possible to run the OS on a 500 GB drive, since the OS itself is small (2GB), but that’s based on guessing.

I tried that - but when i ran the last command i got an error.

I’ll need to try again in a bit and see what error I get.  When i boot the mybook live up i get a solid green light which i assume means it isn’t working right…

Yep, let’s hear the error message. And for the record, you are using the option that completely overwrites the drive (‘destroy’)?

OK - so using those files i get an error:

dd: writing to ‘/dev/md0’ : No space left on device

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md0 missing codepage or helper program or other error.

cp: cannont stat ‘/mnt/md0/usr/local/share/bootmd0scr’ : no such file or directory

./debrick.sh: line 359: /mnt/md0/etc/nas/service_startup/ssh: no such file or directory

unmount /mnt/md0: not mounted

a few other things that look normal and then “all done!”

not sure what that means - i’m going to try to expand the 512 mb drive to a larger size and see what happens…

What you could try is to do the steps from the script by hand. Furthermore, what is the full output of the command?

OK - seems like i figured it all out…

1. run the link above in destroy mode (it’ll fail for some random error but not before it makes the partitions)

2. run the link above but without destroy (now that partitions are made it’ll do whatever it needs to so that it can load the OS back)

3. follow the insructions for the swap partition and it works

I know - not very technical but it worked :slight_smile:

I now bought a $77 2TB hdd and still found a use for the shell… Win all around…