Need help recovering Shared Pictures

I noticed today that the public Shared Pictures folder on my MBL drive inexplicitly disappeared. I rebooted the drive, and a new Shared Pictures folder appeared, but with no contents. I searched this forum and tried some of tips I found, but so far without success.

I enabled SSH and SSH’ed to the drive as root. The permissions and group ownership for Shared Pictures were incorrect, so I fixed them. However, the directory still appears empty, both from the shell and from the Windows laptop and MacBook connected to the drive.

The MBL has the latest firmware, updated a few weeks ago: MyBookLive 02.43.09-038 : Core F/W

I have some hope that the pictures are actually there somewhere and I just can’t access them – the Twonky Media Server says there are 20,666 photos.

I really hope I didn’t lose these pictures, since I don’t have a recent backup. I have no idea how these would have been deleted. The other folders and files in the Public share seem to intact. What else can I try to get my pictures back (and why did they disappear to begin with)?

Turns out I accidentally dragged the Shared Pictures folder into another folder on my MBL, just found it now.

What threw me was the empty Shared Pictures folder that was recreated when I rebooted the drive. Also, when I ran the short diagnostics from the MBL UI, they reported a failure, so there still may be something wrong with the drive.

All is well, and I’ve backed everything up to a different drive (and learned a valuable lesson about backing up more oftren :-). Whew!

There are lots of samsung data recovery tools can be used to recover your lost photos, in the case that your photos are not overwritten by new data.