Mybook live to Live SMP lag

Hi All,

I have had a Live SMP for a while, connected to a 1TB USB drive, which worked perfectly.

I’ve recently upgraded to a 3TB Mybook Live as the USB drive had become full.  I’m having some problems with it, when watching movies it often (every 2-3 minutes) freezes for a few seconds, then catches up with itself, like it’s on fast forward.  I’ve tried rebooting the drive, but this doesn’t help.

I’ve noticed that the drive seems to be permently making a noise, just the normal ‘read write’ noises that harddrives make, but even when it’s apparently idle.

Any ideas?

Dom

Hello,

Check your Wireless signal. This may be caused by a low signal.

The signal strength is good on the dashboard.

I tried again last night and it was much better, but there were no noises coming from it either.  Watched a film, but then started going wrong again in the last 10 minutes.

Dom

This is still causing me a problem.  The drive always seems to be slow.  It will lag whether streaming to an ipad (wireless) or playing through WDTV (wired)  It always seems to be doing something, but don’t know what.  Is there a task manager so I can see what it’s up to?

Getting really frustrated with it.

Dom

You could enable SSH (see for example http://www.brandonmartinez.com/2011/08/03/enable-ssh-access-on-western-digitals-my-book-live/)) and login with a terminal. Then the top command will tell you what processes are running, available memory etc. As far as I know there is no task manager in the web interface.