MyBookLive will not complete TimeMachine backup

I have a MacBookPro 2010 with OS X 10.8. I have followed all instructions to set up the WD MBL as a share. The backups proceed as normal, however when 25GB of 210GB is reached, the backup simply stops (no error message or anything to indicate an incomplete backup). TimeMachine also works perfectly well from that point, but it of course only backs up the modified files at the specified intervals.
I have tried this four times, including deleting and renaming the WD share, and I have tried it wireless, and direct cabled to both the network wireless router, and directing between the MBPS and the WD MBL.
Any suggestions?

Are you able to test the backup with a different software to see if is a software or drive issue?

Try using the WD Smartware backup software for Mac.

WD Smartware seems to be for windows only? I could not find a Mac version - it seems to be WD Quick View which enables TimeMachine backup…

well, there are too many dependencies, it will depend wireless vs ethernet.

Check this see if it helps.

http://icanhelpyourmac.com/tip_archive/understanding_apples_time_machine/index.html

Oh, and to add - I have been backing up via TimeMachine to a Lacie 1TB USB drive for the last couple years with no problems, so I do not believe it is a TimeMachine problem - just a settings or incompatibility issue between TimeMachine and the WD MyBookLive.
I do not understand why it is a problem, as WD clearly expect it to work, and it does start to do the backup, it just does not complete it…!