MyBookLive access + backup

Issue 1: Access

Is there some trick to accessing the external drive via explorer? The system asks me for a password to access one of my folders. I enter the password and it won’t let me through. To be sure I have not forgetten the password, I then go into the website of the drive, enter my password, and get through no problems. Then I log in via WD2Go and, again, no problem.

Issue 2: Backup

Starting at the dashboard, I have found the computer from which I would like to backup. I click on the device and then I am asked for a password. I typed them all in multiple times and I can’t get beyond this point.

So, somehow, through different points in this experience, I consistently enter the password correctly but, at these two specific points I just can’t seem to make any progress.

thanks

To make Samba, the software that manages the shares on the MyBook, play nice with Explorer, it’s best to have a user on the MyBook with the same name and password as on the computer(s) you’re trying to access the MyBook from, if you don’t have those already. The password in the web interface of the MyBook is likely unrelated. Can’t comment on the wd2go experience, as I don’t use it.

HTH

Thank you, could someone else offer advice?

Let me explain this again.

• I am opening Explorer and navigate to http://mybooklive.
  • I click on backup / create / discover
  • When I click on the device, I am asked to enter a username and password. My laptop does not have a password. The only password is on the MyBookLive.  I have tried multiple combinations of usernames / passwords / blank.

I don’t know what to do.

Thank you,

In the “Users” menu of the web interface of the MyBook, make sure you haven’t set a password for your user there. If that doesn’t work, set a password there and set the same password on your computer.

Cheers

Hi Alexandre,

am i right when i appreciate that you would take a backup from your WDL to(!) your notebook? This  is what you reach by clicking backup/create/discover.

For that purpose you’ve  to create a share on your  laptop , e.g. WDLBackup.

If you want to backup the laptop to WDL than you’ve to use smartware or any other backup software. When using smartware the nackup is created on a (hidden) share onto your WDL.

BernhardD wrote:

Hi Alexandre,

am i right when i appreciate that you would take a backup from your WDL to(!) your notebook? This  is what you reach by clicking backup/create/discover.

For that purpose you’ve  to create a share on your  laptop , e.g. WDLBackup.

If you want to backup the laptop to WDL than you’ve to use smartware or any other backup software. When using smartware the nackup is created on a (hidden) share onto your WDL.

Well, I still can’t solve the password issue but what you are saying seems to render the issue moot. So, did I buy the wrong drive? Thank goodness I have a 30 day return policy.

When I bought this drive, the intent was to backup the laptop AND share media to multiple devices. This drive does not do that? The box even says “auto-backup” so it seemed obvious to me what the core function was (in addition to sharing media).

On a more general comment, I find the overall software to be cumbersome and hard to understand.  

Thank you,

Hi Alexandre,

no, the device is exactly for what you bought it.

You can put data to WDL device via network shares, you can backup your Laptop to WDL e.g. using the smartware software which is delivered with the device. I think you will find it in Public folder.

The purpose for the backup menu within wdl dashboard is only for the other wa round, e.g backup your wdl to any network device. I think you will find many threads in this forum about smartware. i am using another product because i disklike smartware, but you should try it for your purpose.

But you should never foget that a device like the wDL could fail and therefore should have backups.

I am connecting an externel usb device to my workstation once a week, share it and do a incremental backup from my wdl to that share.

regards

Bernhard