MyBook Live - firmware upgrade from 1.x to 2.x

Hi all,

I’ve recently bought this storage and noticed that the version of its firmware is 01.05.07. Is it possible to upgrade it to the firmware version 2.x (02.03.01)?

Also, what are the benefits of this upgrade?

I’m planning to set up remote access to the storage. I’ve found that it is possible by using Mionet service (with firmware version 1.x) or WD 2go service (with firmware version 2.x). Which service would you prefer?

Regards,

Danijel

Yes you can, but I’d suggest you to do the manual update instead of the automatic update. Go to WD’s site for the instructions.

I prefer WD2Go because it lets me access my files from my phone, which Mionet doesn’t let you do. Once you update to 2.x.x there’s no turning back and you lose Mionet forever.

1 Like

Hi ThePizzaMatrix,

I’ve successfully upgraded firmware to the version 2.3.1.

Also, I’ve created an account on WD2go and and I’m a little bit disappointed because of this Java stacktrace that I get when I try to access public folders on my MBL:

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
    at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager.createApplet(Plugin2Manager.java:3116)
    at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Plugin2Manager.java:1498)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Caused by: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
    at com.wd.nas4g.mapdrive.MapDrive.(MapDrive.java:71)
    at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
    at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:513)
    at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:355)
    at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:308)
    at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$12.run(Plugin2Manager.java:3040)
    at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:199)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:641)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(EventQueue.java:84)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:602)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:600)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:87)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:611)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:174)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:169)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:161)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unsupported OS: LINUX
    at com.wd.nas4g.mapdrive.command.WebDAVCmdFactory.(WebDAVCmdFactory.java:23)
    … 22 more
Exception: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError

It states that Linux is not supported.

What should Linux users do? Switch to the Windows or Mac :frowning: or something else?

Thanks,

Danijel

Either switching to Win/Mac, using a secondary partition, or use the Android/iOS app. I find it funny that Android is supported but Linux itself is not, also Windows XP 64-bit edition is out of the picture was well for some reason… WD, oh well.

Also, I find it funny that MBL’s firmware is based on Debian Linux but there is no support for (Debian) Linux users to access their drives remotely via WD2go service :slight_smile:

Regards,

Danijel

1 Like