MyBook Live Security Settings Corruption Viewed From XP and Win 7

I recently experienced a neighborhood power failure.  A few days later, I noticed a problem, possibly, but not certainly related to the power failure.  Note that the XP system lost power and shut down.  The Win 7 system was a laptop and only switched to battery power, and was manually shut down prior to restoration of power.  The Western Digital MyBook Live NAS lost power and went down.  I also have a Seagate Business NAS that also went down.  Note that the problem I will describe applies to both the Seagate NAS and the Western Digital NAS.

I now have difficulty accessing any share from a scheduled service (e.g., Norton Ghost) that needs to log on to the NAS as a background process.  Looking at the security setiings for the shares on the NAS has changed.  When I right click on the shared folder, properties, security,  For Group or User Names, I see three entries: everyone, nobody, nogroup.  The last two have something to do with Unix. When I click on Advanced, Owner, I see that the current owner is “nobody”.  In the Change Owner To box, I see two choices of accounts on the NAS: Administrators, and Linux user with my account name on the NAS.  When I try to change the owner to one of these, I get the error message with the explanation “This security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object.” On the Win 7 computer I am advised that I need to have Restore privilege, but when I check that privilege, I find that it is enabled for Administrators and Backup Operators.  I was logged on as an Administrator.

Somebody please help.

Thanks

Well dude, what if you create a new share on the MBL dashboard for testing? Try a public share first with no permissions. If it works then move to set the permissions for private/password access.

Thanks for the good sugguestion.  However, it did not solve the problem. I still am unable to take ownership of the new public share on MyBook Live.

CAW39 wrote:

When I right click on the shared folder, properties, security,  For Group or User Names, I see three entries: everyone, nobody, nogroup.  

You can’t use this information – it means different things for NAS shares than it does for local folders and drives.

“nobody” is the account that Samba runs on on the NAS – so that’s correct information.

Is Norton the only product you’re having problems with?   I know that Symantec doesn’t support running Norton Ghost on a network share.  Though it can work, it has a dependency on specific GUID/UUID assignments which windows does permanently on local storage, but is dynamically assigned on network storage and thus can change.

My guess is that’s what’s happened to you.

Check in Symantec’s Ghost forums for more advice.

1 Like

I think that I wrongly identified my problem as one with the security parameters on the shared folder.  As I thought more about the situation, I finally realized that the NAS server, which created the shared folder, could not responsibly allow a network client to take ownership of it.  It does allow a network client to create subfolders of the shared folder.  The client does control these subfolders.  I suppose that what muddled my thinking was that last October, for some unknown reason, the security parameters of my system drive (Drive C:) were changed to almost the same settings as the NAS shared folders.  In that case, I was able to take back the ownership of the drive and restore the proper security parameters.

I think that my problem was probably that the drive mappings for these shared folders were no longer valid after the power failure.  In any case, after I disconnected all of the drive mappings and restored them, things appear to work normally now.