MyBook Live Not Responding

Hello,

I have a MyBook Live that’s about a year and a half old.  Today, both computers which are mapped to it quit recognizing the device (I am not certain when this happened but it was discovered today).  The dashboard ip address does not work ( http://129.25.676.30/)) and if I try to ping it from cmd I get a “could not find host” error response.  I am not sure what ip address the mybook is anymore, because the address it used to be associated with is now taken by one of the two network computers.  The router does not show the mybook device (shows wireless printer (HP60F60F on .0.198), and the two laptops, but nothing else.

I have tried disconnecting the mybook, pulling the power and restarting, and trying a different ethernet cable, all with no result.

The mybook has been spinning up, making the hard drive reading sound as normal, and then stopping (kind of abruptly) after a few minutes.  Then after a few minutes, the process repeats.  This has happened at least 5 times tonight… not sure if it is normal- never paid much attention to its noises before.  Not sure what the drive could be doing, since it is not recognized by anything.

The drive has SSH enabled, but I cannot access it since I can’t find an ip address through the router for the device.  Ever since SSH was enabled, the front light has been off, so I don’t have an indicator color to report.  No other mods or hacks beyond enabling SSH.

No major trauma other than I flickered the power on the surge protector it is connected to by accidentally bumping the on/off switch a few days ago… I don’t know for sure if it has worked since then or not. Has also been knocked over once or twice in the past since it is kind of top-heavy, but since it was already sitting on the floor, it wasn’t a drop from any height- just tipped over.

I have not tried the reset button as I wanted to post first (and haven’t heard of great results from that).

Any advice is appreciated.  If something is dead, I would at least like to recover my files.  Some are backed up and unfortunately, some are not.

Thanks

I would go ahead and try the reset button (4 seconds) and then use the discovery program and see if it comes back.

Will that disable the SSH, and if so, is that a problem?  I had read before that people having ssh enabled provided a back door that worked even if the other parts weren’t working.

Also, the noise pattern I’m hearing with starting up and shutting down- does that mean anything to you? 

I sounds like a dying drive to me or possibly a bad power supply

Is there anything I can do to recover the files before the thing totally dies (if it hasn’t already)? 

There might be but without me hearing the drive I don’t wanna have you tearing apart your drive and voiding your warranty. I would try what Tony suggested and see what happens.

OK, I hit the reset button with the hard drive on for 4 seconds as the instructions said- nothing really happened.  Drive was not spinning when I pressed reset button (but power was on and green network led was blinking).  I waited a few minutes after pressing the reset, and the green network light was blinking rythmically during this time.  Since nothing seemed to happen, I pressed the reset again for longer.  No real change either, though after a few minutes I heard some hard drive activity.

Still no mybook on the router’s list of devices, and the WD discovery software isn’t finding anything.

Drive has now resumed the pattern of making a reading noise, stopping after a min or two with a click, and then after a several minutes, resuming the reading sound.

Also still no LED light on the front.

What next?

I also just checked the power supply.  It is putting out 12.2V for the rated 12V, so I think it is functioning ok. 

Hook it up directly to you computers ethernet port and see if you can access it. Try another power supply with the same specs if you have o e around the house.

If still a no go

1. You could try a WD Data Recovery Partner  http://support.wdc.com/recovery/ and then RMA the drive once you get your data back

THIS OPTION WILL VOID ANY WARRANTY

1. Rip open the drive  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGLJi66vxnY Then download Disk Internals Linux Reader for Windows
    http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/ and install the program. Hook up the drive to your computer or a SATA dock and copy your data to another drive with enough space on your computer. If the drive is not recognized by the computer you would likely need the professional data recovery service if you want your data back