My book live safepoint compatible device?

I’m not completely computer inept, but I’m also not a techie. 

I have a My Book Live. I have a My book (for Mac). I’d like to back up (safepoint?) the My Book Live so I can keep everything on my personal cloud for remote access, but obviously then I need a back up (as previous MBL network controller failed and I suffered). I hadn’t realised this was even possible (or might not have suffered when network controller failed), and now I’m pretty sure I still need to buy yet another MBL to do so (spent so much money on hard drives this year…) However, I saw a NexStar NAS adapter. 

Does anyone know if I can hook up my My Book to an NAS adapter and then use it as a safepoint/back up for My Book Live? (It would be so much cheaper!) Alternatively, does anyone have an updated list for compatible devices? The only list I found is from August 2011- pretty out of date for anything computer related. 

Thanks so much!!

Hello,

The My Book should recognize most devices available on the network, but only the ones on the KB  7570 are supported.

It might be possible for you to connect the My Book HD to a controller card but note that this is not a supported configaration for the safepoints.

what is a   KB  7570?

Requin wrote:

what is a   KB  7570?

If you would click the link, you’d know.  ;)

Sorry about that.

KB is knowledge Base 7570 is a link to our knowledge base with information about the List of NAS drives validated by WD to work as a SafePoint backup for a My Book Live.

You can click on the following link or KB 7570

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7570/session/L3RpbWUvMTM3ODc2MTE0OS9zaWQvLVNrTVdWemw%3D

Didn’t realise it was a link. However, the link data is 2 years old. I mentioned in the original post the only data I could find is from August 2011. Which is the same data on the link. Would WD really not update their my book lives to work with current devices? Only discontinued ones? That seems absurd.

So you can’t back it up to a standard external HDD?

Brooktop wrote:

So you can’t back it up to a standard external HDD?

Not directly, no, since the MBL doesn’t have a USB port.

I don’t think the lack of a USB port is the issue itself. There is the option to back up the MBL via a Safepoint when you log into the Dashboard via the SmartWare app. It just doesn’t recognise the HDD that is plugged into the PC. I’m guessing you’d have to have another NAS on the system and back up to that.

I’m thinking of getting a My Cloud and need to transfer the data. WD told me to use Safepoint…but I’m guessing that’s to simply use the new My Cloud as a safepoint device for my MBL.

I suppose I could simply copy the data across onto the external HDD and then onto the MyCloud, but that would be a 2 step process and take days.

I’ve never used SmartWare even once, so not even sure what it does.

But I know it’s definitely possible to share an external USB disk (attached to the PC), and then setup a safepoint from the MBL’s UI to go to that share.

Brooktop wrote:  I’m thinking of getting a My Cloud and need to transfer the data.

See, you should have started the conversation with that.   This thread is talking about safepoints, and you’re talking about just transfering data from one NAS to another.  Safepoint is NOT the best way to transfer the data from one NAS to another.

That’s what WD staff told me:  http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/Upgrading-from-MBL-to-My-Cloud/td-p/603203

If I can’t save to an HDD, I’m assuming they mean straight to the new My Cloud.

Brooktop wrote:

That’s what WD staff told me:  http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/Upgrading-from-MBL-to-My-Cloud/td-p/603203

If I can’t save to an HDD, I’m assuming they mean straight to the new My Cloud.

I’m sure John012 offered Safepoint as the answer as 90% of what you talked about in that thread (as well as your response) was about Backups.  :)