My book live not playing nice with Mavericks/Time Machine on new rMBP

Hi,

I have the new rMBP and an old 2TB MBL.  Since migrating across from my old computer (a very old 2009 Macbook) to the new rMBP I can no longer see the MBL in OSX. 

I can log in to the MBL dashboard and I can see the MBL in WD2GO but Mavericks will not recognise it in Airport Utility. The firmware is up to date and i’ve downloaded the MBL software but it can’t seem to find the MBL.

I don’t currently have any firewall settings that i’m aware of though I have just installed Macafee security, so perhaps that has done something i’m not aware of.

I have a smaller Time Machine that has just died, so i’m keen to get the new rMBP backed up ASAP.

Any ideas?  I am close to hurling it at the nearest wall and buying a new Time capsule but they’re only midly less irritating.

Thanks

Can you map the NAS directly via AFP or SMB using its IP address?

Update.

It seems that when I installed Macafee it defaulted my firewall settings to a more secure setting (“office”, i think) that allowed me to login to the UI but not see it in OSX.  I changed the setting to “home” and it played nice.

I’m not that tech savvy so it wasn’t immediately obvious what I was doing wrong but if anybody else is having similar frustrations reads this thread, it’s worth checking your security software settings first.

1 Like

Glad you decided to post what solved it for you. More people should do that.