My book live never sleeps

Hello,

I stubbled on this thread and wanted to give my experiences. I don’t have the exact problem of my MBL not going into sleep mode, but my experiences may help solve some of those problems. I have 3 MBL’s all sitting together so I can see their status.

I noticed that one of my units always was being “Accessed”…the other 2 were in sleep mode and would wake up as I would expect them to when being accessed.

I called WD support about this and pretty much got a “Party Line” response even when I told them that if I disconneted the network cable the drive’s light  continued to blink and I could hear the drive being constantly being accessed.

During this process which lasted several months, I got multiple Over Heating Alerts from this drive. My other 2 drives, sitting next to this one, never overheated.

Finally, I got WD to replace the unit…the new one did the same exact thing once I got it set up and put data on itnd updated the Firmware to MyBookLive 02.10.12-129 : Core F/W.

I contacted WD again to try and determine what was happening, again without success. Then I found this thread and tried some of the things mentioned. I was able to find what the problem was.

Here is what I found:

I have about 120K of pictures backed up on this drive (none of the other drives have pictures on  them).
    Remote Access was Turned ON
    TWONKY was turned ON
    Firmware: MyBookLive 02.10.12-129 : Core F/W

Turned OFF Remote Access …Drive Still being accessed. I rebooted the drive…Still Being Accessed

Turned OFF TWONKY - Device NO Longer being Accessed (after about 5 minutes) and went into Sleep Mode
    after about 10 minutes

Turned ON Remote Access - Device began being accessed again.

Turned OFF Remote Access - Device NO Longer being Accessed (after about 5 minutes) and went into Sleep
    Mode after  about 10 minutes

Turned ON TWONKY  (Remote Access was Turned OFF ) - Device began being accessed again.

Turned OFF TWONKY - Device NO Longer being Accessed (after about 5 minutes) and went into Sleep Mode
    after about 10 minutes

So, in my case, either TWONKY or Remote Access being on, coupled with a large amount of pictures on the MBL, caused my drive to be constantly accessed and naturally not go into Sleep Mode. I had to be patient, since there is definitely some delay between turning off TWONKY and Remote Access and the drive activity stopping and going into Sleep Mode.

I have not loaded any music or Videos on any of the other drives yet, so I don’t know if the MBL would behave the same way with those, or not…

In any event, I now have a lot of pictures on a drive that I can’t get to (easily) with other DLNA devices…which is why I bought the MBL in the first place.

A quick note to the gentleman from WD (WDTony) who has been helping out on this thread…I hope WD realizes this is a huge problem…If they sell 3TB drives to be hooked to the network, you would have to expect large amounts of media (pictures included/especially) to reside on them. The constant accessing of the drive to transcode pictures, causing very slow access and the overheating during that time, has to be addressed.

One thing I didn’t mention was that the activity on this drive went for about 4 weeks after I loaded the pictures (at that time I didn’t realize that it was the pictures causing the problem). Shortly after the Activity light stopped blinking, I put about 1000 more pictures on the drive…Accessing of the drive went on for another 3-4 weeks. This tells me that everytime pictures are added, everything is re-transcoded…or at least that’s the way it appears.