My book live never sleeps

I completed a ‘Full Factory Restore’ and still no change. The HD still will NOT go into sleep mode.

Anyone on Firmware Release 2.10.09 yet? It says in the release notes:

“Resolved issue to improve drive standby performance”

Not sure if it relays to this particular problem.

Does this answer your question?

Nov 21 02:20:20 localhost logger: Enter standby
Nov 21 06:25:07 localhost logger: exit standby after 14687
Nov 21 06:35:11 localhost logger: Enter standby
Nov 21 12:28:48 localhost logger: exit standby after 21217
Nov 21 12:38:52 localhost logger: Enter standby
Nov 21 12:49:54 localhost logger: exit standby after 662
Nov 21 12:59:57 localhost logger: Enter standby
Nov 21 16:15:41 localhost logger: exit standby after 11744
Nov 21 16:25:45 localhost logger: Enter standby
Nov 21 17:09:13 localhost logger: exit standby after 2608
Nov 21 17:19:17 localhost logger: Enter standby
Nov 21 17:39:14 localhost logger: exit standby after 1197
Nov 21 17:49:18 localhost logger: Enter standby
Nov 21 18:09:13 localhost logger: exit standby after 1195

New firmware, still won’t sleep

I am having the same problem.  Have installed the 2.10.9 update (MyBookLive 02.10.09-124 : Core F/W) and it still never sleeps.  Remote access disabled, no servers running, no photos.  Since acquiring it 3 weeks ago it has run constantly.

I tried the connect direct to PC trick but this made no difference.  I have only 170 Gb of data on it.  SSH Top does not show mediacrawler running.

Anyone from WD have a solution?

I had the same problem, just received mine on Monday, installed 2.10.9 and the device has not stopped making noise since, even got quite warm at times. Finally after reading this thread went in and disabled Twonky and iTunes and 10 minutes later MyBookLive went to sleep and has been quiet ever since. Peace and quiet at last! 

So it’s OK for you with the new update Myron?

Yesh. It’s fine for me and I’m using the current/latest firmware in my MBL.  The most recent log entries . . .

Nov 23 00:08:23 localhost logger: Enter standby
Nov 23 06:06:27 localhost logger: exit standby after 21484
Nov 23 06:16:31 localhost logger: Enter standby
Nov 23 06:25:08 localhost logger: exit standby after 517
Nov 23 06:35:11 localhost logger: Enter standby
Nov 23 16:53:45 localhost logger: exit standby after 37114
Nov 23 17:03:49 localhost logger: Enter standby
Nov 23 17:17:57 localhost logger: exit standby after 848
Nov 23 17:28:01 localhost logger: Enter standby
Nov 23 17:39:14 localhost logger: exit standby after 673
Nov 23 17:49:19 localhost logger: Enter standby
Nov 23 17:59:08 localhost logger: exit standby after 589
Nov 23 18:19:15 localhost logger: Enter standby
Nov 23 18:39:14 localhost logger: exit standby after 1199
Nov 23 18:49:18 localhost logger: Enter standby
Nov 23 23:50:04 localhost logger: exit standby after 18046

Same situation: after last firmware, my book live enter in stanby and leave it after about 10 minutes, i have ftp, twonky, and itunes server disabled…

Ditto, following for resolution before HD burns out…

MyBookLive 02.10.09-124 : Core F/W

It’s finally consistently going to sleep and staying there! It through my various tweaking of setting it appears the twonky seems to keep the drive awake due to the -1value for checking for new files. I have now changed this to 1500 and the drive goes to sleep! I have noticed however I occasionally my iPad will wake The drive for no reason which may also prevent it from sleeping, so if you have a iOS device try turning it off for a bit to see what happens? iTunes and remote access is still enabled when it sleeps just incase you where wondering. If you try this could you please post here how you get on please?

Hi mybookW2,

Can you be more speficic, what file we need to modified? I would like to try that.

Thanks,

Same problem. Had asked tech support whether it could be hackers accessing my drive. Is there a firewall such as in Windows, since this is outside of windows and directly connected to Internet? I have had no response from tech support all week.
Drive will be read/writing sometimes 24hrs or more after I had used it in any way.

All front end setting I changed. See http://YOUR.IP:9000  to get to the twonky server, all I have done is changed the value on database refresh from -1 to 1550, I also mapped the folders correctly, instead of the folder being /public I gave it another level ie /public/music but not sure if that makes any difference. I also disabled the twonky log as it overfills and is rubbish! But overwise itunes still enabled, and remote access. The only thing I notice is that IOS seems to wake the drive up when I connects to the wireless LAN. Please let us know if it works for you?

Thanks mybookW2

I did work,Thanks, but at the beginning it was not working because the twonky media server logging was enable, it took me a while to found that the logging write to the Disk (/CacheVolume/twonkymedia/twonkymedia-log.txt ) not to the /tmp folder (Ramdisk). I disable the logging and finally it goes to sleep.

Hmm. No-one’s perfect. I forgot where Tronky kept it’s log.

A thought…  If someone as LOADS AND LOADS AND LOADS AND LOADS AND LOADS (ya get the idea!) OF MEDIA then if there is a lot to cache, might not all fit into RAM so stuff’s (very unscientific) done piecemeal in sections and that’ll frequently “touch” the Winshester drive.

For me, the only way to solve the sleep issue is turnig off remote access! If i turn it off, the drive go to sleep regulary. Any ideas ?

Have you tried this?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8526/~/how-to-enable-port-forwarding-on-a-network-router-for-use-with-a-my-book-live

I have this configuration and all enable but FTP, the drive goes to sleep ok now.

I use static IP address.

Configure settings for remote access to your My Book Live.

Remote Access:
Enable

Connection Status: Connected

Port forwarding connection established.

Connection Options:

Manual
Application Description External Port   Internal Port   Protocol   IP Address (My Book Live)
WD 2go Port 1:* 80 TCP 192.168.0.111  
WD 2go Port 2:* 443 TCP 192.168.0.111  
\*Required Configure your router to map your My Book Live IP address to ports.

I’m not especially interested in my MBL sleeping, infact I have disabled the monitorio script which determines if sleep conditions are met. personally I favour silent running over sleeping (steady state). That is an aside. one thing I did find was that twonky contdir settings are always reset by the values in /etc/contentdir. this seems to be unique to the MBL implementation . If you read the documentation for twonky you can set the Contentdir either via changing the .ini files or through the web. However in either case this gets overridden by the value in /etc/contentdir which by default is set to

A|/Public

The /CacheVolume copy of the .ini gets overwritten within ten seconds of twonky starting from /etc/init.d/twonky start (after a reboot)

In my case I have both media and PC incremental backups under that direrctory, so twonky was having to crawl a huge number of non-media files which were contantly changing.

I restricted my /etc/contentdir to

+M|/Public/Shared Music,+V|/Public/Shared Videos,+P|/Public/Shared Pictures

So only these folders and the appropriate file types within them are crawled by twonky. these settings are also retained in the webUI after reboot.

I’m finding that twonky works hard for a while after startup and is the top process in top, but after a few minutes drops from 99% cpu to around 0.3% cpu

While not a cure for the BL insomnia problem, this might help, especially if you have directories beneath /Public (in reality /shares/Public on the MBL filesystem) which do not contain media but are regularly changing i.e a backups from other computers

ravelord wrote:

Hello William,

Mine was preinstalled with F/W 01.xx.xx, after upgrading to 02.02.02-020 I also have standby problems. Although not the entire time, sometimes it sleeps just fine. Other times (mostly during the night) it wakes up every 60 seconds after sleep. I have the feeling something is still running in the bg, when I ssh to the box I see the “ls” command active in top.

Also in /var/log the mediacrawler.log is updated frequently with error messages. Weird thing is that i disabled the mediacrawler…:

MyBookLive:/var/log# tail mediacrawler.log
exec: No such file or directory

Hoping WD finds the solution soon…

Have you noticed that mediacrawler.log gets updated with that message

every time you ssh into the box

sshd.log and mediacrawler.log seem to have identical update timestamps, coinciding with when I accessed the server through ssh, this is after I shutdwn mediacrawler using /etc/init.d/orion stop.

Odd eh ?