Established Member
Misanthrope

Re: My book live never sleeps

[ Edited ]

Thanks WDTony,

I appreciate you looking into it.

Can you comment on whether the drive re-transcodes pictures every time remote access is turned off and back on? (Or does it just re-transcode them once?)

Staff
WDTony

We do not re-re-transcode files :smileyhappy:

Advisor
Lymedo

I had the no sleep issue. Turned off remote access and now it sleeps. However, not always within 10mins of no activity.
Frequent Advisor
adachim

[ Edited ]

I came to realize that turning off the remote access will remove  "mediacrawler" process. This will make the unit to sleep.  while mediacrawlder is running, I can touch the unit and feel the hardware activity.

its quite clear now the issu is reduced to..

when remote access is enabled, my unit doesnt sleep.

Staff
WDTony

Correct, we have seen that it is a process that is waking up the mediacrawler. We are reviewing this and should be working on a fix for this soon.

Established Member
Misanthrope

Thanks WDTony,

I'm turning off my remote access for now, until there is a fix.

Do you think this is likely to come in the next firmware update?

Staff
WDTony

We are hoping so. It has been a bit difficult to track down, so hoping this week will find positive results.

Frequent Advisor
yrrej

If I have a parttion of the NAS mounted on one of my computers, would this keep

the green light on?

Jerry

Regular Visitor
mpgillis

Same problem here since the firmware update. I've disabled remote access for the time being. Hoping for a fix soon.

Advisor
wmy5555

I've almost the same problem with my 3TB MBL. I've turned off remote access since I have more than 40,000 photos in it,I don't want it to take many weeks or even more to do transcoding. However,I really need to use my MBL as a Twonky Server,which also cause MBL keep on reading/writing pretty intensively for more than 3 days without any device getting access to it.

Admittedly, it's reasonable to take several days to do things like resizing or transcoding photos considering its CPU's performance. But it is unbelievable that just indexing files takes such a long time. There must be something wrong with this firmware.

Hope WD can fix this problem as soon as possible. 

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD