My book live never sleeps

I had the no sleep issue. Turned off remote access and now it sleeps. However, not always within 10mins of no activity.

I came to realize that turning off the remote access will remove  “mediacrawler” process. This will make the unit to sleep.  while mediacrawlder is running, I can touch the unit and feel the hardware activity.

its quite clear now the issu is reduced to…

when remote access is enabled, my unit doesnt sleep.

Correct, we have seen that it is a process that is waking up the mediacrawler. We are reviewing this and should be working on a fix for this soon.

Thanks WDTony,

I’m turning off my remote access for now, until there is a fix.

Do you think this is likely to come in the next firmware update?

We are hoping so. It has been a bit difficult to track down, so hoping this week will find positive results.

If I have a parttion of the NAS mounted on one of my computers, would this keep

the green light on?

Jerry

Same problem here since the firmware update. I’ve disabled remote access for the time being. Hoping for a fix soon.

I’ve almost the same problem with my 3TB MBL. I’ve turned off remote access since I have more than 40,000 photos in it,I don’t want it to take many weeks or even more to do transcoding. However,I really need to use my MBL as a Twonky Server,which also cause MBL keep on reading/writing pretty intensively for more than 3 days without any device getting access to it.

Admittedly, it’s reasonable to take several days to do things like resizing or transcoding photos considering its CPU’s performance. But it is unbelievable that just indexing files takes such a long time. There must be something wrong with this firmware.

Hope WD can fix this problem as soon as possible. 

I have a MBL 3T with the updated firmware and I have the same issue, it does not sleep.

The week is over…

Was your timer set to Friday? :slight_smile:

We have one issue identified. Will go into test next week, with another week or two in test before release.

WD should provide a way for customer either roll back the firmware to previous version or re-install the older version of ftimware,

What do we do in the mean time to prevent damage and over use of the drive  if it will not sleep. I have disabled both the Tonky server and remote access and it still does not sleep. I need the drive online for schedule automatic activity. I open a call to tech support and the issues was seen, even after a reset of the drive and waiting 30+ mins with no activity and a 10min sleep specified it wil not sleep , i had  tech support on the phone.

Thank you

My 3TB MBL has 1.05.07 firmware and has no sleep problem.  I normally do not update unless I know the newer version fixing problems I have.  Newer does not mean better.

Hi !

Thanx for helping us WDTony.

Have the same problem after the last actualization and (WD2go) the hard drive never sleeps… and is like making defrag/indexing all the time. The hard drive is making this for more tha 6 days…

Hard Drive info: My book live 2Tb version

last firmware from 16 august i think and WD2Go

80.000 Photos, maybe more… 500Gb

More than 1Tb in Avi/mov files

I triyed to unpulg the RJ45… and still the same think (working all time)

Try to make a reset (on the back) same think, still working.

Unplug the power, let them rest for 5 min, plug it in again and still working.

Before the update if a copy some files (Avis/fotos), the transfer was good 40 MB~60MB…

The hard drive go to sleep and everything was ok.

Now after the las firmware update and WD2Go the transfer rate is went down to no more than 10MB…

Reading files… same think 10 to 12 MB/sec.

So after reading this post I turned off all possible “remote process” like:

-Remote access

-Twonky media

-Itunes music

Now I have recover the speed !!!  

But the HD is still working and “doing think’s” but it’s a lot faster.

Doesen’t go to sleep… but is ok for now 

Speed is back and waiting for a new firmware.

Thanks for helping WDTony… I asked the spanish WD support… and they didn’t gave me a “correct” answer… they just say, if the HD work’s wrong, move 1,8 Tb !!! and factory default… and problem resolved. ?¿?¿?¿¿?

(sorry if my english is not soo good XD im from Spain !!!)

Regards,

Sascha

my drive was asleep this morning.  it does seem to wake up when the pc boots, even though I haven’t added files to the folders I’d selected and the network mapping does not reconnect.  I also have remote access turned off.

There are things that will wake the drive up independent of any issues in the firmware. For example, when your DHCP lease expires, the system will wake up to renew the lease.

As a status, this issue is still being worked on. Drive standby is a tricky thing to do in a linux kernel. You have to be very careful that no processes are touching the data volume while the drive is in standby. Getting that done is no small feat. With all the new code and services added to the 2.x software, this is even more complicated. We’ll get it done, just taking a bit of time.

Hi Tony, just a note, I finally got it to sleep but i had to  turn everything off including the ftp server, without that it would not sleep, all which are not practicially to do . Eaglery waing the fix.

thanks

Well, that does not work any longer, it will not sleep, all PC shutdown, no access.

I have a My Book Live 3TB drive - I’ve been using it for a couple months now and love it.  I also noticed that lately the drive seems to never sleep, or when it does sleep it wakes up on its own for no apparent reason (all other computers and media players turned off).  I have a larger-than-normal home network so I assumed the problem was in my network.  I’ve spent over a week extensively testing/troubleshooting all of my network settings.  Tonight I finally got so frustrated I decided that I’d search online to see if anyone else was having a problem because I started to think maybe it was related to the recent firmware update.  Sure enough, I found this thread. ;-(

Somebody in this thread asked if having a mounted share from this drive would have anything to do with this problem.  I’ve also been wondering this, but I noticed that nobody answered this question when it was asked.  Could this be an issue?

In the meantime while waiting for a fix, I’m going to disable Twonky, iTunes and Remote Access.  Hopefully this will allow my drive to sleep when I’m not using it.  I use it ALOT, so I’d like it to be able to sleep whenever it can in order to last a little longer.

With all of the above being said - I LOVE this drive and will without a doubt purchase another one soon (but not until after the fix).  I love Western Digital hard drives.  I have a 1TB external USB, a 2TB external USB, several internal WD drives - all of which made it a no-brainer to go for a WD NAS when I decided it was time to get one.  The 1TB USB drive was actually knocked off my desk a year ago and dropped 3 feet to the ground and it’s still working to this day w/o ever having 1 issue!