My MBL 3 TB can not access the internet

Hi

I tried to access my MBL via the web yesterday, and found out i couldn’t.

It is several months ago since i tried last. i went to the MBL UI and saw that it said “No internet access”.

I tried to switch from DHCP to static IP, but it wouldn’t work either, it seems like it “forgets” the DNS adresses. I’ve added screenshots from Static configuration, am i doing anything wrong?

If not, has anyone had the same problems as i do?

Another thing is that it can auto update to the latest firmware, and i can’t find the file to download at the support page, so can’t update firmware manually either.

I bought it January 2013, if i can’t fix it, can i turn it in and get it fixed?

Regards

Caspardk, Denmark

3.png

When changing from DHCP to STATIC, it will erase the DNS entries that it learned via DHCP.  

So, you will need to re-enter the DNS server IP addresses manually, as well.

I have manually entered the dns entries that is shown in the first photo. But then when it is done saving, and i go back to the “Network” tab, is says “DNS Server: Empty”. If i re-enter them, the same happens.

What version of firmware is currently on your MBL?

The current firmware is 02.42.02-012

Last Update:Wed 08 May 2013 12:22:40 AM CEST

Ok, two questions, and sorry if one sounds dumb.

First, from your picture, it looks like you ARE clicking the “Save” button after making the DNS entries, correct?

Second, what happens if you try these two IPs for DNS:

Yes, i am clicking the save button :slight_smile: That is why i am redirected back to the UI frontpage.

I have tried Googles free DNS’s too, but the same thing happens, they are also gone when i go back to the Network tab, as the ones from my ISP.

Normally i consider myself okay at these things, but i can’t figure out what’s wrong :confused:

Hmmm.   If it redirects you all the way back to the home page after clicking SAVE, something else nasty is going on.

On mine, when I click SAVE, I get a pop-up that says “Modifying your network settings can make the device unmanageable…” yada yada yada.

Then when I click “Continue,” the settings are saved and it stays at the same page (and the Save button disappears.)

Last ditch effort:   Try doing the “Soft” reset.   When the device is fully booted up, press and hold the RESET button for > 4 seconds.

This reconfigures the network (and passwords) back to factory default configuration.

This essentially rebuilds all the network config files (or at least, it should.)

If THAT still doesn’t work, get your data off the drive and do a “Quick Factory Restore.”

Yeah, it says the same yada yada at mine :slight_smile:

Actualle if i don’t enter the DNS’s and saves, then it doesn’t go back to the home page, but it still wont connect without the DNS’s. I just think it’s strange that it can’t connect with the standard DHCP setup, since i did that to start with.

I have tried the reset button on the back, but with no succes.

I guess i will have to find a pal that has enough storage to back up my files then :confused: Who ever that might be :slight_smile:

There is another way – but it requires a little Linux know-how and thus the risks are a little higher.   This method does NOT delete your data, as long as you follow the steps exactly.

You can go through this “Guide:”

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-Fix-Dashboard-Errors-3xxxx/m-p/513954/highlight/true#M16581

(Forget about the subject line about the 31xxxx errors.   The fix works the same.)

Make sure you read the ENTIRE guide before executing on it, or you risk losing your data.