My Book Live vanished from network! Please help!

I have had a 3TB Mybook Live drive on my network for a few months now.  It has worked fantastically, with no issues.  But today, I can’t get to the drive from any computer or device.  It doesn’t show in my list of dirves, or I can’t see it on the dashboard.  The light is steady and greeen.  I have tried powering it down, disconnecting/connecting it to the network, resetting the network, but nothing works. I have searched the internet for a solution or suggestions, and can’t find anything good.  

I guess this is in the wrong place…reposted it in the right place, but don’t know how to delete this one…

this just happened to my in the past 48 hours with a 1TB MBL. Almost like a firmware got pushed out out something.

I did the button reset, still won’t show up in my router.  Next step is to swap lan cables and try moving the power supply, but it’s not showing any symptoms like that.  More like the NIC card just went belly up.

What LEDs you have on the back? Check manual for LED status on back.

However, if there is a green LED on front, either bliking or steady, it means it does have an IP and all is normal.

Also, are you trying to access MBL by IP or name? Try by IP such as:

Browser: http://192.168.1.21    (Replaceby  whatever IP you get)

PC explorer: \192.168.1.21     (Replaceby  whatever IP you get)

You might have to go into the router to see if it is listed.

I will have to check the lights in the back when I get home.  The front light blinks green…and then goes steady.  I tried accessing the MBL by both ip and name //mybooklive…but neither work.  I was able to plug the ethernet cable straight into my laptop, and was able to see the drive and data that way.

The Green LED by the ethenet cable is flashing green…like it is doing something…thats all I see.

so with your laptop ethernet port set to dhcp, you just plugged the MBL into the laptop port and it showed up?  I can’t even get it to do that.

well an RMA check of the SN says I still have limied warranty.  I’d have to look up what that means…was it 3 years on the drive and 1 year on everything else?  I don’t remember.

So, I created an RMA.  we’ll see what happens.  In the mean time I’ll hook up my seagate external usb to each machine and run a fresh backup.  I’d be nice if the RMA gets here and I can re-backup everything to the new MBL before the old one goes ou the door.

Just my $0.02 …

Maybe the problem is in the router … ? 

normally I might agree, I’ve been on the boards a while and seen a lot of hand-wringing over what I think are router issues.  I’ve had this router set up with the same AV in the house for two years now with no hiccups.  Just to be safe I removed the reserved DHCP I had for the MBL.  I put the power right into the wall, I used a different cable on a different port. 

I can’t ge the thing to show up in the list of connected devices.  The TV, printer, etc etc all drop on and off like always.

I also can’t ge it to show up when connected directly to the laptops LAN port, set to DHCP and private network, and rebooting both.  held down the reset button for 10 seconds on 3 different occasions, but the MBL was always DHCP anyway with no password.  last resort is trying direct connection to the old XP in the other room.

This is exactly what is happening to my 2tb mbl.  It has a steady green light, but is not on my network.  This just recently started happening - I have reset it to no avail.  I have checked the attached devices in my router and it is not one of them so I suspect the mbl is faulty.  Not a happy bunny atm as this is the second mbl I have had with issues.

yeah, that’s 3 or 4 of us in the last few days.  I wasn’t on the mos recent firmware, I was two versions back… but…strange.

Ok, today I plugged the lan cable straight into my laptop again and ran the MBL setup software. It found the drive, I got to the dashboard, saw all my files.  It just won’t work on the network.  I am sure there is some tweak that can be done to make it work again, but I don’t know enough about routhers/networking to figure it out. 

When I run the setup utility when it is connected to the router I get this:

“Make sure you have properly connected the provided Ethernet and power cables and the LED is a steady green, then click to Rescan.”

The light is steady green (after a while).

Guess I will give WD tech support a call, see if they can help.

cman548 wrote:

well an RMA check of the SN says I still have limied warranty.  I’d have to look up what that means…was it 3 years on the drive and 1 year on everything else?  I don’t remember.

So, I created an RMA.  we’ll see what happens.  In the mean time I’ll hook up my seagate external usb to each machine and run a fresh backup.  I’d be nice if the RMA gets here and I can re-backup everything to the new MBL before the old one goes ou the door.

well, to their credit, my RMA is scheduled for delivery Wednesday afternoon.

hey look at that, they sent me a 2TB to replace my 1TB.  thanks!

Went ahead and updated smartware to 2.1.  Plugged in drive and am updating to latest firmware.  took 90 seconds to download file, now installing…took about 5 minutes.

Hi all, I also have a MBL 3TB and this has all happened to me. I have the solid green light, changed the cables, didnt change where it was plugged in. Now I am testing it on my laptop directly. This is our cloud and I moved all data to it several months back, BUT as the fool, I dont have a back up for the cloud yet. Talk about upset!

I have the same issues.  I have a steady green light however the drive cannot be seen.  I have nearly 3tb of data and cannot access it.  I am not sure how to connect it directly and would appreciate some help please as I have not backed this up either.  If I return the drive all data will go!!

Your data is probably okay.  Hopefully.  But we’re looking into this right now.

[edit]

Please make sure to pay attention to your private messages and respond to our staff requests.  It will help us figure out what happened.

1 Like

Hi there guys…

my case is almost the same… but the front light showing blue or yellow… already tried to reset, connect MBL directly to my laptop, or several time to turn it off and on again… But it does not show on my network… any suggestion?

Thanks.

I got a call from WD yesterday, they ran several tests on my computer, remotely, and were able to pull the drive logs (amazing!). Issue was determined to be a bad/faulty component. The drive seems to still be good, so I will need to take it and have the data pulled from it, then they set up a RMA for me. Happy with the fast response from them and the amazing tech work done while on the phone with the tech named [Deleted].