My Book Live not playing .mkv files

Hi,

My BOOK live is not playing .mkv files.

I am trying to access the .mkv files from Samsung smart TV

can any one guide me how to fix the same.

br…krprakas

If you can play the .mkv file fine with a USB memory the problem might be with the twonky server, maybe is not compatible. Check if you can also access the my book as a shared folder from the TV.

hey friend,

if you are willing to spend 8 euros you can buy a license for Twonky 7. Your MyBook Live is currently on version 5 and cannot play .mkv files.

WD would have to pay Twonky in order to give you the update and they don’t like spending money. It made me quite angry but in the end I spent the money and can now watch .mkv files without a problem.

You read how I did it on this post:
http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/My-Book-Live-3Tb-Samsung-40es5500-8Gb-HD-movies-Incorrect-file/m-p/450912

You can write me if you have questions

Version 5 plays MKVs just fine.  The problem is an incompatibility between Samsung and Twonky,which Twonky resolved (at least partially) in later versions.

ok but since the OP said he had a samsung TV, the fact that Twonky “can” under certain circumstances play .mkv is not of any real importance.

Only way resolve issue is 1) to try to get Samsung’s latest drivers (I updated mine when I bought my TV (beginning of August) and this did not help. 2) Hope WD releases newer software (people have been waiting quite a while for this). 3) Pay €8 and upgrade to Twonky 7.

Only option 3 can have you enjoying .mkv files on your Samsung TV in half an hour.

Thanks a lot.

I wish upgrade the Twonky and test.

I am planning to follow the followin g link for upgrade.

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-459592 

br…krprakas

FabianG89 wrote:

the fact that Twonky “can” under certain circumstances play .mkv is not of any real importance.

Your summary statement that Twonky 5 can’t play MKV files was incorrect.  The fact that it CAN is of real importance to people who don’t have Samsung TVs that are incompatible… :wink:

ok ok you win.

OP: good luck!

I have the same problem. How do I upgrade?

Read post 6.