My Book Live is USELESS

A warning for anyone out there who is thinking of buying one of these;

What it says it does - Will automatically save files

What actually happens - When connected, once you save a file on your computer, My Book Live might or might not, depending on which mood it’s in, actually save the file onto it’s 3TB hard disk. So… you always have to check.

When you have a blue light on the device (which is most of the time if you are only updating at the end of the day) it will not wake itself up to save files

Once originally set up, the box will go “down” and you’ll have been fooled into thinking you have saved files when in fact, you haven’t. Indeed, a whole month can go by and you won’t notice unless you manually check!

Once set up it will randomly decide to “forget” who the frack you are. So, you’ll have to log in through the various different portals and at this time you might decide you want to set up some other files to “automatically save”. Good luck with that. Your WD device will appear but the computer you are loggin in from and working from won’t appear on the WD2go site. So, you’ll never be able to change any settings again.

So, if you want a piece of useless excrement that doesn’t offer any type of “personal cloud” service then go and buy one of these. They’re over priced here in the UK and the technology doesn’t work.

Oh, the learning centre as well. What an absolute joke. Whatever happened to “plug and play” - Just look at the hoops you have to jumo through to get the device to do anything (and even then, only when it feels like it).

Oh and by the way, I have this all wired up correctly and it WAS working. Nothing has changed but now it just doesn’t work properly so all I’m left with is a 3TB hard disk that won’t save any files on it.

What a completely useless piece of **bleep**.

If you don’t believe me, I tried registering with the username “disgruntled”. Sorry that name has already been taken. So, instead of offering suggestions, I have to re-type my password (twice) and then enter the black characters only (this hardware has to be designed by someone supporting the Deep South!)… Anyway, I got up to registering as “disgruntled299” and there it was still telling me that that username had been taken.

I think this must sum up what consumers think of WD technology. I then made up this username which I thought no one could possible have and they didn’t (clever use of an underscore!). Please don’t be victim "disgruntled300_whatever it is I called myself!).

If anyone can shed light on how to remove this crappy piece of garbage from my computer, I’d be much obliged. I’ll then try to sell it on ebay.

Hello,

Please check your PM

I agree.  File moving is slow as **bleep**. (Yes Gigabit network).  Now I’m away from home and thought I’d download a movie but no such luck.  Logs in to the MBL with no problem and opens shared files.  Can get mp3’s to download at 80-120kbs/sec  YIPPIE!

Definatley not up to par.   Can you say Ebay!  But then again I’d feel bad selling this piece of junk to anyone.  
Currently downloading 643MB of mp3 at 111Kb/s  Been well over an hour and reads 40minutes left. Ha.    Lesson learned.  Think I’ll just buy a $50 refurb PC and Hard drive, set up a FTP server on it and not have the headaches this think can give you. Definately a cheaper, faster, and definately more reliable.  

Thought this was bad when connected to LAN, but it’s useless when not.

well, when getting files away from home from MBL via internet, you have to pay attention to your ISP connection UP speed. Which tends to be a lot lower than download speeds. Remember, this is your home ISP connection.

Also, if you do SSH/SFTP/SCP/HTTPS, encryption will add overhead.
Example, I have 18/4 download/up at home. When getting files from home via ssh/internet, I get around 2.5

Currently very happy with my purchase. But yes, you have to know where the limitations are.

Have an average  8 going  out. even with half that I should get more the 100-120 Kb/s.  I can pull files from a neighbors file sever via filezilla no problem. ( from my current locale)