My Book Live - create two partitions mapped to different drive letters

I have a new My Book Live 2TB drive that will be replacing an old NetCenter 320GB drive that’s partitioned into two logical drives, each mapped to a different drive letter on my computer. Files that are added/changed on those mapped drives get backed up to the cloud every night automatically. I need to keep the directory structure identical on the new drive to avoid having the backup process think all of the files are new or changed.

I don’t see any way to partition the My Book Live. Is there a way to use shares instead of partitions and have each share mapped to a different drive letter? If so, how would I do this?

OS is Windows 7 Home Premium - but I also need to access the shares or partitions mapped to 2 Win XP laptops

You don’t “partition” it.   

Is there a way to use shares instead of partitions and have each share mapped

to a different drive letter? If so, how would I do this?

This is all explained in the manual.

The drive finally arrived and I had problems with the installation - well, really with accessing the dashboard (the software that allows managing users and shares). The drive and its public share was immediately visible on my Win 7 computer. I was able to create, edit, delete test files on the share without any problems. But, I was unable to access the dashboard either by browsing to //mybooklive or to the IP address (which I determined from my router).

So, I tried installing the software - which failed. I was not able to ininstall the software either (“problem with this windows installer package”).

I reached WD’s Concierge Support for Installation and they walked me thru some of the same things I had already tried and came to the conclusion that my drive has bad firmware (told me the latest firmware has issues and my drive probably has that new firmware pre-installed). I was advised to return it to the store and get a new one which would “probably not have the same firmware.”

I moved on to other work, then shut down and restarted everything and gave this one more try before packing up the drive - I browsed to the drive’s IP address and the dashboard opened. I was able to create the shares and user account and add passwords, etc.

But I need to know if there’s a problem with the drive and if there’s a problem with the firmware version.

The firmware is ver 02.02.02-020 Core F/W last updated Thur Aug 25, 2011

I am concerned about what I’m seeing when I right-click on one of the new shares and check properties -

Prior to copying files onto the share, when I right-clicked the mapped share under “comptuer” I saw 16.3GB used, 1.79TB Free, Capacity 1.80TB and File system NTFS.  I saw this for both of the new shares

After copying aprox 13GB of files onto the share mapped as my P: drive, this drive shows 268GB used and 637GB Free and only 906GB for the total capacity - also, the file system now shows FAT.

Before I go ahead and copyt all of my data over to these shares, I need to know if this is normal.