My Book Live contents disappeared

Yesterday the entire contents of my MyBookLive 2.0Tb disappeared. When accessing the drive through windows (in “network locations”) I only see a few emptry directories (with names of directories that used to be full). If I connect using WinSCP I can see the directory structure of the OS installed on it, but if I go into /DataVolume/shares/Public I see exactly what I see using windows.

I disassembled the device and connected the drive using SATA, but windows only sees an unformatted drive. Is it possible that only the FAT was deleted and the files are still there? My priority is getting my files back, so if there’s a procedure that would involve removing the OS on it I’m willing to try it.

If it matters, the files on it were mostly large media files, DVD and Blu-ray rips. There were about 1.6Tb of files on the drive.

Please advise.

Windows will not be able to see the files, they are all in EXT3 or EXT4 Linux format.

Since you already have the drive out, get a bootable Linux CD (like from www.ubuntu.com) and you should be able to see your files after booting into the linux enviroment.

follow this all the way to step 2 to recover files.

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-How-to-unbrick-a-totally-dead-MBL/td-p/435724