My Book Live and wd2go.com

So… I just bought a 2TB My Book Live, spent over 24 hours having it back up all my files, to still not be able to see them from wd2go, the iphone app, or anywhere on my computer. I have rebooted the drive to factory settings and am starting to get really frusterated as I am not a computer ignorant person. Please help me by telling me what I am doing wrong. I got this drive so it would back up my system and then I could access all the files on the personal cloud remotely while I am in class or away on business. Thank you so much for any and all help. Much appreciated!

and I am returning it, this is one of the worst products ever made or sold, WD should be ashamed

If, as you say, you “Backed Up” your computer using the provided software, the data is not SUPPOSED to be accessible to computer or wd2go or any other method OTHER than the restore software.

That’s the way SmartWare is designed to work.  The backup data is stored in a hidden share that’s only intended to be accessed by the SmartWare software itself.  Even then, it’s not kept as the original files; it’s a “collection” of data in a different format.

If you actually want to have access to individual FILES, then you need to use a SYNC program (or manually copy) the files to the public shares, as the documentation indicates.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

If, as you say, you “Backed Up” your computer using the provided software, the data is not SUPPOSED to be accessible to computer or wd2go or any other method OTHER than the restore software. 

Leaving aside the fact that WD have admitted that the product doesn’t currently work. There is no mention on the website or the box that stuff you backup to the unit is not accessible from the cloud. In fact the complete opposite is true, the backing up is positively highlighted on the box (don’t get me started on the fact that WD Smartware doesn’t even work) right alongside the accessing from the internet via your personal cloud. Most customers, myself included, will expect to be able to backup their data to the drive and access it from the cloud. It is you who is being unreasonable here and shouting certain words in you reply only makes you look like an aggresive sycophant.

Quite frankly Tony, your constant fanboy combative attitude to people posting legitimate complaints on this forum is getting beyond a joke. I’m reporting your post to the moderator and hopefully it will be removed. You should be ashamed of yourself.

1 Like

Much as I hate this product, it is a NAS device, therefore I agree with Tony and am unsure what you are complaining about him for.

All the software it uses to back up your computer will not just copy files, they are hidden and compressed. If you want access to certain files then you need to physically copy them yourself into a folder and give yourself access to it, the same as any other NAS device.

Fraser wrote:

Much as I hate this product, it is a NAS device, therefore I agree with Tony and am unsure what you are complaining about him for.

All the software it uses to back up your computer will not just copy files, they are hidden and compressed. If you want access to certain files then you need to physically copy them yourself into a folder and give yourself access to it, the same as any other NAS device.

CaphWD wrote:

Leaving aside the fact that WD have admitted that the product doesn’t currently work. There is no mention on the website or the box that stuff you backup to the unit is not accessible from the cloud. In fact the complete opposite is true, the backing up is positively highlighted on the box (don’t get me started on the fact that WD Smartware doesn’t even work) right alongside the accessing from the internet via your personal cloud. Most customers, myself included, will expect to be able to backup their data to the drive and access it from the cloud.

Did you read my reply?

I’ve excluded the reasons why I take issue with Tony but I’ll leave it up to you to hit your up arrow and read them.

Yes, I DID read your reply, and  STILL think you are wrong, he is emphasing some words, he does that, I have noticed, get over it and move on, he is still correct, it is not designed to backup your data and access it from the cloud, did you not read MY response.

Sorry, but I needed to ensure you read certain words, but regardles, I hate this product with a passion and have moved to an Iomega, due to the shoddiness of th software.

I’m closing this thread due to the fact that it has gotten off topic.  Tony’s answer is correct, and I see nothing wrong with how he replied.  estparky, obviously, had different expectations from what the drive actually does, so he returned it.  That’s his right.

1 Like