My Book Live and Linux

These are my experiences setting up the WD MyBook Live up using Linux (Ubuntu).

Only trouble was to locate the device (IP-address). I could not figure out what default IP-address it uses

when no dhcp-server is available. I use static IP adresses.

So I set up my router as dhcp server and user “nmap x.y.z.c/24” to scan for the device. I think that it might have shown up under “Network” if I had just waited.

Once the IP address is known - use a webbrowser (Firefox/Chrome) and the IP-address. From here just follow the manual about configuration “Dashboard”. I did not have any trouble setting up the device or connecting.

Read/write speed using Ubuntu graphical filebrowser nautilus I have got 43-50/37-40MB/s - (Pentium E6300 pc). This is fine for me and I have not tried any optimization. 

WD - You do not advertise that it works with Linux? Or write anything in the manual? 

Best regards,

Henrik

We don’t, because we don’t support Unix or Linux.  But our products tend to be standards-compliant and Linux is quite nice at handling that for most cases.

We don’t, because we don’t support Unix or Linux.  But our products tend to be standards-compliant and Linux is quite nice at handling that for most cases.

By default, you can access your drive in the same way a Mac would: you can go to http://mybooklive.local/ to configure your brand new My Book Live, for example.