My Book Live 2Tb disappeared off network - PLEASE HELP!

Hi everyone, I have a WD MBL 2Tb which is only equppied with an ethernet connection at the back.

It is the basis of my WHOLE back up - all my photos, videos, etc.

For some reason 2 days ago, it was intermittently visible on my Mac Finder and was very, very slow to connect to.

Over the last 24 hours, it has not been visible at all on the network. 

I have tried resetting it, changing the ethernet cable, swapping ports on the hub and powerline adapter, but with no joy.

Can someone offer any suggestions as to how I can access it again? Is there a way of getting it to reappear on my network again, or is it possible it is just gone?

I am using a Mac Mini with OSX Lion but can’t find it using Bonjour or WD Setup, http://mybooklive.local/ or Finder

If I have to “destroy” the drive to recover my data, so be it (ie - remove it from the WD case), but I have noooo idea as to where to start.

I’d really love some help, as the main things that I want to get moved to another drive are my iTunes data and all my kids photographs!

Thanks in advance, 

Simon

Hello, sorry to hear that you cannot access your files. As a troubleshooting step, connect the My Book power cable directly to the wall and the Ethernet cable directly to the Mac. If possible also try connecting the My Book to another Mac. 

Hi, I have it connected to the Mac directly with the ethernet cable - I’m really sorry to sound stupid, but what do I do next?

The drive is receiving power, I’m getting a steady light at the bottom of the ethernet socket and an intermittent flashing light at the top of the ethernet socket.

There is no light on the front of the drive, but there hasn’t been in a LOOOONG time anyway and it had no effect on the performance

Unfortunately the My Book appears to be faulty. If you need to recover your files you have the option to contact one of the recommended data recovery partners by WD. Check the link below for more information. 

http://support.wdc.com/recovery/index.asp?wdc_lang=en

Have you tried this?

Open Finder.  In the menu, select Go > Connect to Server …

Then type in afp://MyBookLive.local in the “Server Address” box, and click “Connect”